Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
life's golden
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read online that vitamin c is good for skin allergies & that it boosts the dog's immune system & is a natural antihistamine. Does anyone know anything about that and can you just give the same vitamin that a human would take. Someone recommended fish oil and i am going to start that as well but would love to know about vitamin c

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hazel's breeder recommended Ester C (I believe it's easier to absorb). Hazel gets 500mg twice a day.

·
life's golden
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try that as well-do you get that in a pill or powder form and is that the same that humans consume.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have never given vitamin C supplements, but we do give fish oil tablets and we use the kind for humans, which are 1000 mg. I find that it gives our dogs coats a huge boost and we have never had problems with dry or itchy skin while our dogs have been on it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I get it in pill form (same as humans would take) and I put in with her dog food. She eats fast and I guess she doesn't notice them in with her dry nuggets :)

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Yes, I have been giving Vitamin C 500mg every day to Frankie.
He has mild HD and arthritis,which C has been known to help arthritic discomfort.
I do buy it at the drug store and he just eats it, he has been on it for about 9 mo. and he does move around much better than before. He doesn't take any pain meds now. We also give our Goldens Natrol's Omega-3 fish oil 1000mg daily.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
vitamin C is notorious for causing diarrhea, so if you notice loose stools, be sure to back off on the dose!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hazel's breeder recommended Ester C (I believe it's easier to absorb). Hazel gets 500mg twice a day.
Ditto here. Also recommended as per Mac's breeder.

I also give a 1000 mg omega 3 fish oil capsule.

The vitamin C is a chewable tablet that I buy at the supermarket in the "human" section. I haven't had a problem with loose stools with Mac, but considering that there are many people who write to report problems with their dogs, Hotel4Dogs makes a good point--if you see a problem, might want to back off and make an adjustment in the dosage.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I also give the girls 500 mg Vit C each day and I use a human grade.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Yes, I have been giving Vitamin C 500mg every day to Frankie.
He has mild HD and arthritis,which C has been known to help arthritic discomfort.
I do buy it at the drug store and he just eats it, he has been on it for about 9 mo. and he does move around much better than before. He doesn't take any pain meds now. We also give our Goldens Natrol's Omega-3 fish oil 1000mg daily.
We, too use Vit C and for similar reasons. Riley has pano and it has really helped with her discomfort. We give 250 mg twice a day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts