Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Would it be appropriate to ask if we can bring our 6 yr old goldento visit the litter with us the next time we go? We are now under two weeks from the pick up date. Very excited. Also pretty nervous.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to ASK - but I doubt the breeder would let any adult dogs near the pups, as they won't be fully vaccinated...and even if you claim that yours IS, they might not chance it.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I wouldn't. The excitement level can be high, and it is not a good situation to mix a strange adult in with the breeder's dogs, and with the mother and litter.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
I skimmed through your question and thought you were asking about bringing your 6 year old human child.... until I read Heather and Linda's response. No, it would not happen at my house either.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would be surprised if they'd let you. Besides the disease issue, chances are 'mom' isn't going to allow another dog to visit the puppies (she'd likely attack your dog) and who knows how your dog will react to puppies - not every dog likes puppies and they're pretty young to be exposed to strange dogs who may not tolerate them.

Lana

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Ummm, yeah, not a good idea at all. I'd be rather cautious of any breeder who would allow this in the first place.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Even though you know your dog is vaccinated/ free from kennel cough etc, it would worry me if I were the breeder. For example, Maine has canine HPV going around, and so I skipped classes last week with all three of my dogs bc knuckleheads bring their dogs while they are sick. On top of that, mom might really be upset by a strange dog.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay everyone, message received. We'll just hold off and do our meet and greet when we bring the pup home. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
We took Noah to see Scout when he was six weeks. With permission of the breeder and they met were to meet on neutral ground away from the others.

It never happened as a pup was sick and we decided not to risk Noah's helath...a good lesson...

When you bring the pup home make sure to have them meet outside. But nnext time you visit the pup rub him down with a blanket so you can bring that back. So when you bring pup home your guy knows the smell.

Noah met Scout for the first time for about 20 minutes outsid eour house. Once inside they everything was fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also would never let that happend with a litter of mine. I get scared with people visiting that own dogs (not bringing them) and the chance of them carrying germs in to a new litter.
Maybe talk to the breeder about why you wanted to do this and see if there is another way to accomplish your goal. For example if you wanted to see if you older dogs likes puppies maybe your breeder can suggest someone with a little older puppy you can meet or if you want your older one to bond and get use to the puppy maybe you can bring something back that smells like your new puppy, etc.
Congrats on your new puppy!

Christina
www.heritagegoldens.com

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
Nope! I would not allow it under any circumstances. There is just too much at stake to allow such a meeting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts