Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nugget is what I would call a "determined chewer", so I bought him a toy called a Crunch & Crackle (size large) by four paws. The tag said that this was a great toy for a chewer and the line on the tag (virtually indestructible) seemed like a perfect fit.

Nugget chewed through the fabric in ONE BITE! Within five minutes he had destroyed this "virtually indestructible" toy.

He's not a huge rawhide fan. He does like Nylabones but they don't hold is interest for long. Stuffed toys are all history and the hide a water bottle toys all have missing body parts. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
No stuffies survive Jaro for more than a hour, usually much less, even the ones guaranteed. The hard rubber ones, like the zogoflex from West Paw Design last, at least in our house. Now if you really want something soft you can buy a fleece blanket at someplace like Walmart, cut it up into strips and braid it. Now that won't last too long either, but you will have tons of them from one blanket (maybe $15) and when they shred they come off in little pieces, no treads since they are not woven, and I feel safer that if eaten there won't be a problem. Threads can get tied around intestines.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had the same experience with the "indestructible" toys. They looked good, but they didn't last the day. Most of the Kongs have lasted forever, except for the football with the cloth covering -- which Amber stripped from it. The antlers have been the best, but they are variable. Some last a long time. The elk antlers we got them for Christmas lasted three days, and they were twice the price of the regular deer antlers we usually get.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I thought I found some indestructable stuffies this Christmas. Nope neither one lasted more that 20 minutes.

Our cuz's and kongs have all lasted though.

I like the blanket idea. I did buy from a craft show a woman that did that. She braided them, and then tied multiple knots in them. These actually lasted for six months to a year. Plus they loved playing tug of war with each other. I am going to have to make some myself.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've had partial success with Wubbas by Kong; however, Toby always, without fail, chews off the top ball (doesn't ingest, but leaves it on the floor for me to pick up) and carries it around for months in this condition:

We have 3 Wubbas now that look exactly like this. He uses them to "talk" to us or to greet visitors. We pulled them up after his surgery because the ophthalmologist felt he might whip the tail into his eyes, but we missed the noise:confused::confused: and he missed it too!

These partially destroyed Wubbas will last approximately one year.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Should add that Toby's Auntie Teresa (Copper's Mom) sent him a cuz red rooster for Christmas and it is doing really well, though he chewed off one of the chicken legs and somehow chewed a hole in the torso to remove the squeaker inside. He carries it around and tosses it at us when he wants our attention. He knows it by name when we ask him to go find it and bring it to us.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mighty Tuff dog toys make some nice toys...look like stuffies, but my el destructo has had her paisly pig for 2 1/2 yrs and it looks like the day we bought it.

Mighty Pig Tough Dog Toy
LoL, My Tobey Gutted that pig in minutes... my wife bought a large dog bed cover, and we just through all the deceased stuffed toys in there as a make shift lumpy dog bed...

Tobey even labotomized my wife's dolphin pillow pet she left in my office on the couch...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts