Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were taken Aug 1:

and these were taken just a few days ago:

His coat is shinier (though it's really dusty in the last pics), he's got some fat on him, and we're now ready to face winter!

For anyone interested, his diet was:
- 1.5 c canola oil
- 2 c Equine Power 2000
- 2-5 lbs of Moorglo
- 1-3 lbs of alfalfa/timothy cubes, soaked in hot water for an hour to make a mush.

It wasn't til he got the cubes that he really started packing on weight. Unfortunately, the alfalfa seems to have made him crazy.

We're also moving to a place that has a round bale, changes blankets and feeds grains free of charge so we can stop most of the "extras". He'll still get the moorglo and supplements, but with the round bale he won't need all the extra stuff. Whew! Thanks everyone for all your help, suggestions and support!!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
He looks the picture of health now!!!!!! What a transformation.....

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! It's been a lot of work to get him back to this weight in 2 months, but luckily he got there right in time. While it's not too cold yet, it's awkward temps of close to freezing at night, and then 20 degrees during the day. Hard to blanket for that weather, so he's going naked. I definitely wouldn't have been able to have him go naked in the cold nights if he'd been at his August weight.

And, his paddock mate is gone so Virgil gets all the hay to himself for the next 6 days before he moves. I'm sure he'll gain even more weight now that he's not sharing and actually eating his hay portion!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
He looks fantastic now. Amazing what you have done in such a few months. Congratulations, he is one good looking boy.

Reactions: Ranger

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That is wonderful...he looks so much better! I am glad you are soaking the cubes. Good job!

Reactions: Ranger

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh he's wonderful looking.....thanks for saving him....:p::p: You did a great job...cant believe it 's the same horse....and does their temperament change when they are healthier....do they seem happier??? I've never had any experience with horses....thanks for sharing..

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some horses can get a lot more spunky and energetic or "hot" if they go from ribby to fat. Sometimes it's because a horse is ill or has problems which is what made them skinny in the first place, i.e. abcessed tooth, extreme pain, infection, etc. and then when that's cleared up, they gain weight and feel GOOD. In Virgil's case, he was healthy just not getting enough food, so I didn't see a difference in his personality. Besides him nickering every time he sees his red bucket on the way out to the paddock! Of course, he's also the horse that had someone remark last week, "oh don't worry, they usually calm down when they get older. What is he, about 4?" and I was like, "uh...he's actually 16." He's feeling pretty good these days, that's for sure! Especially now that it's cooling off and getting windy!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Wow, no wonder you were so worried. He looks like a totally different horse now! Amazing.

When our daughter brought her horse up from N.C. 2+ years ago we didn't know he was full of worms. He came from a top-notch training barn but was a cull. They called him Hershey because he was the color of a chocolate bar. Guess they didn't notice he was actually kind of orange.

Fastforward to now, worm-free, ulcer's treated and he's totally a different color. NOW he looks like a chocolate bar.

Amazing what some decent care and groceries can do for our boys. I'm as happy for you as you are!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts