Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in Plano, TX and have an 8 year old golden female who recently exhibited a marked change in her behavior. Heretofore, she has never had any significant injuries or illnesses.

About a month and a half ago, she stopped going in the pool, and generally slowed down to a crawl. Previously, she would eagerly accompany me on 2-3 mile walks daily, take short 'dips' in my pool, and basically act like a typical healthy dog of her age. She basically refuses to walk with me, pawing at the lead, and if I take her off lead, she will follow, but at a slow crawl.

I took her to our vet who treated her since she was a puppy. Blood work indicated low thyroid hormones, and he put her on thyroxine. At three weeks, we return for her follow-up, and after getting the lab results, he indicated that the chemistry levels were normal, and her symptoms were behavioral issues he couldn't address.

As her owner and advocate, I can't really accept that such a dramatic change was simply due to her being 'lazy' (his words) or just the way it is. To provide perspective to you, I posted a couple sample videos below.

I want to get a second opinion, and in fact am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that there is not some treatment that might benefit her out there. I'd even drive down to Texas A&M (I am in Dallas) if I thought that would help, but in any case, she will still need a new local vet.

I have looked online for recommendations, but haven't really gotten any satisfactory results. Places like Yelp! have too few recommendations, and the vet referral services seem to be advertisement portals.

Can anyone possibly recommend a vet in the Dallas area? I am in Plano, but again, for a good vet I would be willing to travel.

Realistically, my lady is not a puppy, and perhaps her condition "is what it is", but I am not satisfied with the thoroughness of my last vet, and want to see if there are any alternative or additive treatments that might improve her well being.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
I am not in Dallas, so don't have any vet recommendations. After watching the video, I agree that this doesn't look normal. It looks like she may be limping when she walks. She may be in pain. I certainly agree that you need another opinion. Hopefully, one of the members who live in/near Dallas will chime in soon.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm no expert, but I definitely am getting a "something is wrong" vibe from watching this... poor sweetie. Hope you find a vet you are comfortable with and figure it out.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Dallas Gold and Penny and Maggie's Mom are in the Dallas area. Maybe one of them can suggest a good vet for your pup.

Since you can't PM yet (not enough posts), I sent a PM to both of them asking them to check your thread and help with a recommendation if they can.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm not sure exactly where you live in Plano, but if it is in the Frisco area, this vet group does a lot of work for local golden rescues. Dr. Raiczyk is very familiar with Goldens:

Paw Prints Pet Clinic
Dr. Gary A Raiczyk, D.V.M.
Dr. Jeff Stille, D.V.M.
11625 Custer Road
Suite 100
Frisco, TX 75035
972-542-4040
www.pawprintspetclinic.com

I'm not their website is fully functional yet.

Another vet the rescue uses is located in Allen:
Allen Veterinary Centre
Dr. Beverly Osteen, D.V.M.
1021 West McDermott Drive
Allen, Texas 75013
972-396-VETS
A few of the rescue volunteers really like Dr. Osteen. She is very familiar with the golden retriever breed and their special issues.

I am located in northeast Dallas, south of 635, and find my local veterinary practice top notch. It's called East Lake Veterinary Hospital and their website is at www.welovepets.net. They are a large practice, open 7 days a week with extended hours. I would see if Dr. Fling or Dr. Procell can see your dog. Dr. Barton is also excellent but is on maternity leave right now. Dr. Deason is also excellent but only works Tuesdays. Dr. Mountain only works weekends, Dr. Mercer works Thursdays and is an expert in sports rehab for dogs. The other 3 (Ekhert, Cole and Aebi) are new and we haven't seen them yet. We've only seen Dr. Nicoll once. If they can't help you or cannot find a diagnosis they have no hesitation to refer patients to the big veterinary referral clinic or to Texas A&M.

We've recently gone through some changes in our Toby related to thyroid and both the vet and myself realize thyroid issues aren't solved with just a prescription--the dog needs frequent retesting and sometimes it takes months to find the correct levels. Your (previous) vet should know better!

Penny & Maggie's Mom uses another wonderful vet named Paul Carroll at Midway and Northwest Highway. I'm sure she will chime in.

I hope you can get your pup some medical help and get some sort of diagnosis.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes, we do use Dr Carroll and recommend him highly. We found him when we adopted our springer from ESRA and he was the ESRA vet. Cody was very very ill with an autoimmune anemia which Dr Carroll managed in a very aggressive, proactive manner. He is in a single practice and is VERY modestly priced. He is a wonderful diagnostician and down to earth guy. As Anne said, he is located on Northwest Highway, past Midway ( closer to I35). His phone # is14-902-0797. He's also has a golden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts