Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got back from the vet to have a chronic yeast infection and scabs looked at on his belly. Here is a thread for pictures..

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=71482

He has a pretty nasty yeast infection in his ear (they have been recurring since October). The vet also took a culture of the scabs on his belly, and they are also yeasty with some bacteria. She gave us ear drops and prednisone (20 pills, 20 mg). He is on it 2x a day for 3 days, then once a day for 3 days, then one every other day until gone. I know the side effects of pred, ugh...is this a normal dosage? I'm nervous to give it to him.

Then when he is done with the pred, she mentioned giving him 50 mg of Benadryl daily, or hydroxyzine. Are there any implications to him taking it daily for semi-long term?

Obviously she thinks this is allergy related. :( Our next step would be a dermatologist visit at UC Davis. Is there anything I can give at home to control yeast production? Maybe probiotics??

Thanks for reading!!!

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
It's been awhile, but I had one of my dogs on the prednisone several years ago and that dosage does seem right. In regards to the daily benadryl, I have had two of mine on it for over a year due to allergies and have seen no side affect.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Prednisone can be almost miraculous in what releif it can offer.
There is no doubt Pred is a serious medication, however many dogs take it without major issue. Liberty and Lexi have been on it on random occasions...the only side effect i noticed was increased thirst and urination...they could hold their urine just fine...just needed to go out more often...I just looked at Liberty file and the only diff was she had the last stage where she was at 1/2 pill every other day ...then off
They did not experience any temperment issues that some dogs face...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Our Sammy is on it right now for serious skin issues related to allergies and it has done wonders. He takes his last 1/2 pill this Saturday. He started out with 1 pill a day for 5 days, then 1 every other day for 5 days and then 1/2 every other day until gone. I'll probably be going back to giving him benadryl when he finishes with the medication. Our Yellow Lab took Benadryl everyday for several years and no ill effects, it really helped with her allergies.

I have noticed that Sammy has been drinking more since being on the Prednisone but other than that nothing else.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My cat is on prednisone indefinitely. It's helping to keep him eating and drinking water more often.

My last golden had to go on prednisone every fall for allergies. He didn't have any problems with it.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Abby was on and off pred for a number of years and that dosage sounds about right. She never experienced any side effects from prednisone. Benedryl didn't really help her.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Prednisone can be a miracle medicine, but it is not without it's issues.

You may notice the pup drinking a lot more, and may have loose stools. Or firm stools, but with a lot of water. What this stuff can do to a dog's stool is evil LOL

Once started, dogs or people need to be taken off of it slowly.

And for those that don't know, Prednisone can sky-rocket one's blood sugar if they are diabetic.

Benedryl is pretty benign, but can cause increased water consumption and drowsiness.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
with that much yeast going on, a food related allergy would be a huge possibility. Have you done the trial (8-10 weeks) of the hydrolyzed protein diet, which is prescription only from your vet?

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
I hope Vito's issues clear up soon. Tasha had the same scabs on her belly. It took us almost a year to get to a managable state. It was all due to allergies - food allergies I think. We tried a lot of different foods and are using perscription food venison and potato d/d. It seems to work for Tasha. One thing I found out is that she can't have any table food!! It seemed to be trial and error. The prednisone did help a lot when she was at her worst which involved pulling out her fur on her back legs and taking all the fur off the last foot of her tail.

I hope Vito is feeling better quickly and you can find the cause of the skin problems quickly.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with that much yeast going on, a food related allergy would be a huge possibility. Have you done the trial (8-10 weeks) of the hydrolyzed protein diet, which is prescription only from your vet?
Thanks so much for the insight guys! Does anyone know if probiotics might be helpful in the slightest? Would fish oil help (he also has dry skin)?

He is yeasty. His ears truly look just gross. He was on Innova red meat starting last August probably. I noticed the yeast build up start in October/November. We switched to Acana Pacifica about a month ago. No change in the yeast obviously, but I know it takes time. IF this is even the issue.

My vet didn't mention a hydrolyzed protein diet. She did mention doing an elimination diet, but I know those are not the same thing. I think she wants to see if it is environmental first and see if the benadryl/hydroxyzine works.

I mean, I guess I COULD start an elimination diet. But I wanted to give the Acana a few months and see if things improve.

I wonder if I should just suck it up and take him to a dermatologist...

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
She might have been referring to the hydrolized protein diet as an elimination diet, which technically it is. You feed him NOTHING but the prescription food for the next 10-12 weeks.
It's easy enough to try. Much cheaper than testing for food allergies. If it makes an improvement, you know the problem is in his diet. If not, you know it's not.
But if you're going to mess with diet, I would go the full route of the prescription food and not just changing his food. You could go thru many months, and many different foods if you just try different commercially available foods.
JMO of course.
If he has both food and environmental allergies, often getting the food allergies under control will be enough to make the environmental ones something he can live with, with just mild drugs every now and then.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
She might have been referring to the hydrolized protein diet as an elimination diet, which technically it is. You feed him NOTHING but the prescription food for the next 10-12 weeks.
It's easy enough to try. Much cheaper than testing for food allergies. If it makes an improvement, you know the problem is in his diet. If not, you know it's not.
But if you're going to mess with diet, I would go the full route of the prescription food and not just changing his food. You could go thru many months, and many different foods if you just try different commercially available foods.
JMO of course.
If he has both food and environmental allergies, often getting the food allergies under control will be enough to make the environmental ones something he can live with, with just mild drugs every now and then.
I agree whole heartedly! Brady had similar issues as a pup/young dog, and it took us 14 months and 7 different foods before we finally landed on California Natural lamb and rice which is limited ingredient for allergies. Going the route of the hydrolized diet is even better because theorhetically there is nothing to react to. Ask your vet about the 2 different hydrolized foods...if I recall back when I was researching foods, Hills Rx diet has 2 different ones. One is a low-allergen formula and the other is an allergen-free formula. There are also treats that go with this diet. The other thing I think of is thyroid. Brady had the skin breakout and nasty ears, and his ears wound up being a combination of the allergies and a borderline low thyroid, so I would ask you vet to check this also, remembering low-normal is low for a golden.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I agree whole heartedly! Brady had similar issues as a pup/young dog, and it took us 14 months and 7 different foods before we finally landed on California Natural lamb and rice which is limited ingredient for allergies. Going the route of the hydrolized diet is even better because theorhetically there is nothing to react to. Ask your vet about the 2 different hydrolized foods...if I recall back when I was researching foods, Hills Rx diet has 2 different ones. One is a low-allergen formula and the other is an allergen-free formula. There are also treats that go with this diet. The other thing I think of is thyroid. Brady had the skin breakout and nasty ears, and his ears wound up being a combination of the allergies and a borderline low thyroid, so I would ask you vet to check this also, remembering low-normal is low for a golden.
We are going back for a check up in 2 weeks and I will ask about the hydrolized diet, especially if his belly isn't clearing up at all.

She actually DID mention getting his thyroid checked, but I wasn't 100% sure on what test we should do. I wanted to research it. She mentioned 2 tests. A T4 and a different, more thorough panel. I remember the 2nd one being about $115. :uhoh: But, I will do it if necessary.

Has anyone had the blood drawn and then sent to Dr. Jean Dodds to complete the panel?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
She mentioned 2 tests. A T4 and a different, more thorough panel. I remember the 2nd one being about $115. :uhoh: But, I will do it if necessary.

Has anyone had the blood drawn and then sent to Dr. Jean Dodds to complete the panel?
Do the complete panel. Your vet needs to see all the details to diagnose and decide what strength supplement is needed, if it's needed. Yes, some members have worked with Dr. Dodds, so hopefully they will chime in and tell you their experiences. I did not as my vet was willing to follow her guidelines when we discussed her recommendations.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So we just got back from the vet to have a chronic yeast infection and scabs looked at on his belly. Here is a thread for pictures..

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=71482

He has a pretty nasty yeast infection in his ear (they have been recurring since October). The vet also took a culture of the scabs on his belly, and they are also yeasty with some bacteria. She gave us ear drops and prednisone (20 pills, 20 mg). He is on it 2x a day for 3 days, then once a day for 3 days, then one every other day until gone. I know the side effects of pred, ugh...is this a normal dosage? I'm nervous to give it to him.

Then when he is done with the pred, she mentioned giving him 50 mg of Benadryl daily, or hydroxyzine. Are there any implications to him taking it daily for semi-long term?

Obviously she thinks this is allergy related. :( Our next step would be a dermatologist visit at UC Davis. Is there anything I can give at home to control yeast production? Maybe probiotics??

Thanks for reading!!!
Are you sure they are 20mg pills? My vet uses 10mg pills twice per day to get started. You can give a much higher dose of benadryl. Hydroxyzine did nothing for Rocky. In general, antihistamines don't help allergic dogs very much but they can take off the edge and let you use less pred. Rocky gets the best result with clemastine (OTC know as Tavist). You can get this cheap on line, at least a whole lot cheaper than at the drug store. Confirm with your vet, but Rocky's vet and dermatologist said you can give large quantities of antihistamines, up to 3X recommended for people. For reasons not fully understood, antihistamines largely break down in the canine system before can do their job. One last point, the effectiveness of antihistamines in allergic dogs is HIGHLY unpredictable and varies widely from dog to dog.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I board a lot of dogs on pred., and I take it myself, and I've never seen it given twice a day before. It's pretty long acting, and can be given every other day, so I'm a bit surprised. I'd like to know the reasoning between giving it twice a day for the sake of curiosity.
My vet says the same about the antihistamines, typically you need to give a big dose. For goldens about 75 pounds, you'd give 3 benedryl, 3 times a day.
Two other thoughts, different dogs do better on different antihistamines and it's largely trial and error to see what works. But what does seem to work best is to rotate the drugs over about a month cycle; for example, give benedryl the first month, tavist the next month, hydroxyzine the next month, then back to the benedryl etc.
Hydroxyzine tends to have a more sedating effect on dogs than the other ones do, so some vets will give it as the drug of choice in high doses to dogs who are frantically itching just to calm them down a bit.

Are you sure they are 20mg pills? My vet uses 10mg pills twice per day to get started. You can give a much higher dose of benadryl. Hydroxyzine did nothing for Rocky. In general, antihistamines don't help allergic dogs very much but they can take off the edge and let you use less pred. Rocky gets the best result with clemastine (OTC know as Tavist). You can get this cheap on line, at least a whole lot cheaper than at the drug store. Confirm with your vet, but Rocky's vet and dermatologist said you can give large quantities of antihistamines, up to 3X recommended for people. For reasons not fully understood, antihistamines largely break down in the canine system before can do their job. One last point, the effectiveness of antihistamines in allergic dogs is HIGHLY unpredictable and varies widely from dog to dog.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh goodness, i'm sorry you are having these issues! Poor peanut!

Zep was on the same dose of pred a while ago and i hated it! He peed constantly! It seemed to alter his mood a bit as well. I suppose because it was such a high doseage. He seemed pretty mopey until we started to decrease the dosage. The need to pee also decreased as the doseage decreased, so there is light at the end of the tunnel! The positive side is the pred did wonders to clear up whatever allergy he was experiencing. He had a rash (looked to me like hives) all over his belly and creases of his front and rear legs. I figure it was environmental as it has not happened again. The pred also seemed to make him sleepy.

I give him fish oil now, with his supper and have seen no ill effects.

I do know a pug who takes Benedryl almost every day and he is 4yrs old and has had no problems.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on the progress!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Correction: Rocky's vet prescribed 5mg (NOT 10mg) tablets twice per day. The actual prescription says 2X per day for 3-6 days, 1X per day for 3-6 days and 1X eod for 4-10 days. The reason for the taper is go give the adrenal glands time to start-up again. However, my vet said this dose is too low & short duration to affect the adrenal glands so the taper is really not necessary, just good practice. At 10mg per day, Rocky doesn't drink and pee more than normal.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I double checked and they are 20 mg. I thought that 40mg a day was a lot. Vito only weighs about 63 lbs! I actually only gave him 1 dosage yesterday, since he had it later in the day. My goodness though...he was very lethargic and peed like a race horse. I'm nervous to give it to the poor guy 2x a day. He's going to fall into a sleep coma! Maybe I should call the vet and ask? Or maybe I will just give it to him 1x a day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts