Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have no idea what is wrong! :confused:

We took hip X rays. They are gorgeous. The vet thinks she would pass OFA with ease. She said they're absolutely freaking perfect. Out of pure curiosity, I am going to send them to OFA. We took knee X rays. Again. Perfect. The conclusion is maybe a muscle strain... and that she simply has ****** rear structure. I should be getting them on CD next week she said, and I will post them here for your thoughts once that happens.

I was going to have them X ray Brooklyn's hips, but she did a full physical exam and manipulated the joints and said rarely does she see a Golden of any age with such great range of motion, never mind an older one that's been obese most of its life, and that she truly believes it would have been a waste of money. She said I am doing amazing with Brooklyn and her ears and skin look great and the weight loss so far is impressive. Even so, I had bloodwork done- a thyroid test and a full CBC and organ function and all that stuff. I get that back tomorrow, so I'll let you all know! :)

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ten pounds!

I hope the bloods come back good.

Next month I am taking the Shepherd to get prelim X rays just for my own peace of mind. Maybe I'll do hers then, too. No idea why, but I just really kind of want it done. Is that silly? She's still young enough, and she LOVES to train, that I might do some agility for fun (not competition) once she is down to 60 pounds or so.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Good news, I bet you were relieved, and still scratching your head over Holiday. Hopefully she's just sore somewhere and will bounce back in a week or so. I like your vet!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Good news on both fronts. I hope the blood work comes back all good too.

sounds like Brooklyn is doing well and looking good. Are recent pictures posted somewhere so I can go ogle?

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a new vet and I LOVED her!

I went back at 2:00 and had Starlite X rayed and dropped off my baby kittens to be bottle-fed by the pros! I get them back to rehome when they are weaned.

Starlite didn't hold still, so the X rays weren't great. I will show them to you when I get them. But she said on physical exam, and from what she could see, they look fine. He has absolutely no symptoms of any issue anyway.

Spirit, my Shepherd, goes in to get his pre-lims next month.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
It sounds good for the dogs - so whoo hoo!

I'm glad they are taking over the care of the kittens. That has to be so time consuming!

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sure is! Did we cross paths? Check out my new Brook pic, she really is coming right along!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Jenna Brooklyn is gorgeous!!!!

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I am so hopeful her bloods all come back good. Other than being obese, she has no indication of thyroid disease, and she is losing weight.

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holiday was just not walking the same, not as energetic, and was chewing her stifle joint. Upon exam, the vet said she honestly had concerns about HD. Then we did the X rays and they're perfect (knees too). Weird!

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah at this point we think it's just a case of being sore. She runs like a wacko, doing sudden turns like she thinks she's a quarter horse. It's how she throws off faster dogs (like my Whippet) when playing chase at the park. I suspect she probably just twisted something!

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW I'd love to do agility with Brooklyn when she gets fit- at least for fun. She is so toy and food motivated. For that matter, so is Holiday. Starlite is my athlete, though.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I am so happy for you. You must be SO relieved. Soft tissue injuries are a pain, because they can re occur if you do not rest sufficiently but that is SO much easier than anything else.

Congrats to on the weight work with Brooklyn. My lab Belle is HUGE!!! She at one point was somewhere around 115#. Because she was so big we didn't really see it because she carried it all over. When she gained the last 10-15 pounds, we really saw it. We did the blood work and consulted with our vet. No physical issue so we went on a diet. I am pleased to say she now weighs 85# and we have kept it off for going on 3 years. She thinks she is starving. :p: The first time our friends saw her after losing the weight, they did not recognize her.

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brook looks ridiculous to me because my other four are so fit! lol

I am so relieved, though. I should get the thyroid and so forth back today! :crossfing

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Yeah - we had cross posted and I missed her picture.
She is really pretty and looks great! Her coat is nice and shiny and soft looking and you can tell she is soooooo happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts