Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we had a busy vet trip today!

1) Spirit had his hips X rayed- they look fine. I just wanted it for peace of mind. He's only six months, but it's good to know that they look pretty good for now.

2) Brooklyn has developed "boobs" almost like a pregnant dog. This is new. She's not pregnant. She's been here at least seven-eight weeks (and had NO signs of heat or pregnancy when I got her), she's never come into heat, and she hasn't been around un-neutered dogs except supervised at the park, and none have ever come near her. Plus she has a spay scar (or what appears to be one) so we're pretty sure she's spayed. So, the vet is thinking that she has a tiny scrap of ovary left from her spay, which causes some hormonal changes. Interesting, eh? She also felt around and said that even if she was bred before I got her, she'd be 8-9 weeks right now, and she feels nothing in there, nor do I. Otherwise she looks fabulous. She's lost another ten pounds since her visit one month ago. We didn't even follow up with the repeat bloodwork since she looks so good, and the kennel cough (now gone) and the terrible ears (now 100% infection free) were obvious causes of her white cell count being up last time.

3) Ivy is 25 pounds lighter than she was when I first got her a couple months back. I had her unusual cyst that burst aspirated. Normal- not cancer. She has mammary tumors (even though she was spayed at six months before ever coming in heat). So, we did a full blood panel, which I assume I get back on Monday. If her organ function and everything is good, then we'll assume she's doing well. Due to her age and condition, we don't want to do surgery on her. If her organ function is great and all is well, we'll consider her adoptable, with the stipulation that she just needs a place to play and live out her days. If her blood work comes back bad, we'll go from there. They complimented the job I did with her skin, since it's just about healed already. She just needs to regrow coat and it's already coming in as stubble.

All in all, I'd say that's a great visit.

Anyone have any experience with any of the above with their girls? Benign tumors, and Brooklyn's situation?

I also finally got Starlite and Holiday's X rays on CD to show you guys, but I haven't got time right now. We're headed out to dinner. Will post those later.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sounds like a great check up for both. It sounds like Camp Jenna is doing wonders for them. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hopefully the bloodwork will come back good on Monday. It sounds like you are doing a great job with all of the girls.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm glad the vet visit was upbeat.

I don't know anything about the rest, but I have a mare whose udder swells and milks during warm weather (the equivalent of Brooklyn's boobs). She has been checked numerous times (every time we go to the vet for shots) and the vet just thinks she is overly hormonal and is lactating during "foaling season". She has done this for at least 3 years and it has never caused her any problems.

I hope the entire crew keeps getting better and better and Ivy's blood panel comes back good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts