Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ori hasn't been himself lately, and I'm worried something may be wrong. He was fine up until yesterday, but all day, all night and today he's showing signs of depression, or illness.

He's normally a very happy boy, occasionally he gets "down" days but they only last a short while and he's fine the next. I thought he may be pining for my mom and step-dad because they've been over a few times this week, which is a bit more than usual and they didn't come yesterday. He won't jump up on the bed like he usually does unless I beg/command him for 10 minutes and he just hangs his head on the edge looking miserable. He's walking slow, barely wags his tail, he hesitated at eating his breakfast this morning, and he won't chase his ball for fetch, he'll just look, and slowly walk over to it, seem disinterested, and walk back to me.

He went to the vet a few weeks ago for a pulled ligament in his left foot, but he's not limping now. Last night I tried to hug him and he yelped a little when I touched his chest, but I see no abrasions on the skin. This morning, I heard him walking around outside my room and he suddenly whimpered. I don't know what the cause was.

I'm sure this isn't normal, and I'm worried. At the moment I'm up to my ears in debt from the last vet bills, my mom had to pay for them, so I'm paying her back. He's on a new food now (which I changed slowly over two weeks) but he's not had any problems with it. He's wormed, vaccinated, and he's only young and still a pup by vet standards. If I have to take him to the vet, I have no choice. But I also don't want to panic for nothing. I'm a known worrier and hypochondriac myself, but it's worse with my "room mates".

I've just had a very close human death, so I might just be worrying too much, I've looked up his symptoms on Google (probably not the best thing to go by, I know) and most have said he's lonely or bored. But he's not usually like this, and he won't play with me.

Can someone please give me some advice? IS this normal like human depression and irritation and it will fade, or do I have a reason to be concerned?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recent update. Now I'm positive there is something wrong. I tried touching his nose about 5 minutes ago and he yelped. (I was just patting it, nothing like I normally don't do)

He just jumped off the bed and yelped once again when he landed. It's not a paw issue, I've checked. Does anyone know what it could be? If I need to, I can rush him to the vet within the next 2 hours.

New Mommy
If it was me, I would take him in for my own piece of mind. Since he does seem to be getting worse and not better, I would agree, something is wrong. Please keep us posted.

Registered
I'm sorry your pup is having a hard time. I know how you feel. I can go from fine to panic in a heartbeat and I'm always afraid everything is an emergency.

I can't say you should go to the emergency vet but I do think something more is wrong. Sometimes when they get hurt they compensate for the injury and stress something else. This behavior is definitely not normal. I suggest you call the vet now and ask their advice. Your pup should probably be seen by the vet during normal clinic hours.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 2pm on Sunday and thankfully it's during clinic ours for Ori's vet. I unfortunately just can't get there for another hour until my mom gets here. Last night I thought it was just his usual down day until he wouldn't even jump on the bed immediately, which even if he does have an off day, he does anyway. Which led me to think he was pining for my mom and step-dad.

Then this morrning with the yelping and not eating his breakfast or playing fetch, I've gotten more panicked. I'm not used to him or any other of my animals being sick or hurt, so I don't know what to do. I've noticed he's also having trouble laying down now too. He does it slowly as if trying not to hurt himself.

I may just take him to the vet when my mom arrives. It's frightening me, especially when it seems to be something with his bones and muscles that's causing him pain/stress. I'm short for emergency cash like this at the moment, but I'm convinced now that' I'm not just worrying for nothing, so I'll do what has to be done. I do know it can't be hip dysplasia seeing as his family line doesn't have the genes, but I know this can't just be a normal puppy injury.

I'll keep you updated.

In the Moment
I agree with getting him in now. He is definitely in pain and the sooner they can find the source, the sooner he can get some relief and be on the way to getting better. Sending prayers your way for it to be nothing serious. Please keep us posted.

Humankind. Be both.
Sounds like a soft tissue issue somewhere. Keep him as quiet as you can, confining him if need be. If he's able to rest and isn't constantly crying out in pain, I'd skip the ER vet and get him in first thing Mon AM.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a soft tissue issue somewhere. Keep him as quiet as you can, confining him if need be. If he's able to rest and isn't constantly crying out in pain, I'd skip the ER vet and get him in first thing Mon AM.
He's pretty much quiet now, he's barely moving though he's crying when he tries to get up now, and just stands there looking around. I'm just worried what will happen when my mom arrives if he gets too excited. I'll see how it goes though. This is not fun. :(

Registered
I think you might want to get him into the vet. Since he is not eating, playing and yelping it sounds like it could be a soft tissue issue like flying quizini said. it could be in his shoulder area and that is why he doesnt cry with his paws. good luck and hopefully it is something minor.

Registered
I hope everything is ok, keep us posted on what the vet says.

Registered
Even though it seems like it is related to a muscular injury, it could also be abdominal pain or some other internal problem such as a blockage. I think getting him to a vet would be my choice. I hope your vet is able to resolve this problem quickly!

Registered
His behavior definitely doesn't sound normal, I think if he were my dog we'd be off to the vet. Let us know how you guys make out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ori just returned from the vet a little while ago. It seems he's injured his back, and his renal glands are swollen from holding his stools in. He's been holding his stomach in, so he didn't want to eat, which we were told it's a good thing we brought him in when we did, because the glands could have become worse and caused abscesses.

He's been given anti-inflammatries the same as last time, along with an injection, except this one has knocked him completely out. I found him asleep out on the grass just earlier.

I've been told to keep an eye on him, and if he's not better by Wednesday, to take him back and see his regular.vet (by the time we were able to take him it was after hours) which isn't really an inconvenience as we were planning on checking his weight there anyway.

Also, they weighed him from last visit now that he's on new and more food, and he's a healthy 22.8 kilos! He has perfect "textbook" teeth, a beautiful disposition and for a young one, he's apparently a lot less accident prone than a lot of others his age she's seen. Lol.

I am beyond glad that it's not too much of a more serious injury, and with the glands, I'm glad I went with my instincts! Thank you all.

Nancy
I'm so glad it isn't serious. I always go with my gut when it comes to vet visits, better safe than sorry. Sending get well wishes to Ori.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Registered
I'm so glad it wasn't as back as it could have been!!!
Give Ori a big hug from Timber and I :)
Keep us updated

1 - 17 of 17 Posts