Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would just say your not interested. If you like the vet, no need to change just because they like a certain kind of dog.
Personally I dont like the idea of purposly breeding just so people can have the exact dog they want, when there are so many homeless animals out there. I didn't get my puppy from a breeder, got her from someone who had a accidental litter. She doesn't have papers or all the heath clearances, but that doesn't matter to us because we love her just the same.
Everyone has a right to there own opinion.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
My stock answer to questions like this one is "there are enough poorly bred dogs in the world and enough mixed breed dogs in shelters, I don't need to contribute to the production of more of them." That's what I would tell my vet if they suggested I breed any of my dogs to a poodle, lab, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The whole thing about goldendoodles is how many people even like poodles? I don't think they are very nice dogs. So I've never been sure what it is that you get from the poodle side of the mix. Also I spent some time looking at all the medical issues with standard poodles and they have more problems than goldens. Why would I want a mix that could potentially have more medical problems when combined than when each breed is seperate?

I do like the vet, she is very nice and helpful. I will stay with her. I won't mention to her partner about the goldendoodle comment. I'll just smile and say that's nice and move on. I was just surprised to hear it from a vet.

·
Kate
21,046 Posts
Stacey, I think what it comes down to is probably people who don't like poodles or who don't think the poodle is "dog" enough or would be too much of a social blot (foofoo dogs, etc).... it's their way of getting a poodle like dog without actually getting one.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I actually really like standard poodles. But if I wanted a poodle I'd get a poodle, not an intentionally bred mixed breed dog when there are so many mixed breeds already in shelters.

·
Dad to Bogey and Reese
1,119 Posts
My smarta$$ side would have said something like:

and I should take the financial advice from the kid at Starbucks? -or- Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn last night?

I'm not against cross breeding as much as many, and no one can argue the "popularity" of the cross which equates into dollar signs.

On behalf of Standard Poodles... They are awesome dogs! If I owned one (we had one when I was a kid), I would never subject my dog to poodle balls! ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts