Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a member of the forum that is going through so much right now.

If anyone is in this area Mastic Beach NY, could you recommend a good vet.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...etrievers/108686-my-baby-has-bone-cancer.html

In March of last year, we lost our girl Casey to a brain tumor. It was sudden and quick. She showed no signs of it until she had a seizure. We had to put her down a week later. A couple of weeks ago, My Dakota started limping. The Vet did some bloodwork and it was perfect. He prescribed Ramidyl. We went back a week later. The Vet was not happy with the way it looked, so he took an xray. It showed bone cancer. I am beside myself. I cannot believe we are going to lose him too! This is not fair. (end quote)

First I want to thank you all so much for all the support. It is so appreciated. Now to answer some questions.....Dakota is a candidate for ampution, I just can afford it. I am going through a very nasty Divorce and since the dogs are mine he is taking great pleasure in seeing us suffer. Dakota is a strong dog with very uncharacteristic traits. He saved my life. My ex came after me and Dakota attacked him. This otherwise big mush loved by all, went after my ex like a guard dog. Dakota stopped him long enough to allow me to get away. I am so upset that I can't even try to save him. The cancer seems to only be in his front paw. He's on Rimadyl and Tramadol. His paw is really bothering him. I don't know what to do! (end quote)

I spoke with the Vet today. The news was not good. The tests will run about $500.00, the amputation about $2,500, Chemotherapy about $2,000, Radiation $2,000- $5,000(only if there are other small spots). He said I would be looking at a minimum of $6,000.00.

The worst part is Dakota developed a new symptom, while I was brushing him this morning, I noticed his hair is coming out in clumps and he has a couple of spots that are almost bald. The Vet said it's a tell tale sign that it has spread to the glands. While examining him he noticed he is swallowing alot, also bad news. His weight is also dropping fast, even though he is eating very well.

I filled out the credit app at the vets office. It was not approved. All around bad day!!!

I am going to take him to another Vet tomorrow. I'm hoping for better news. (end quote)

We are in Mastic Beach NY. Someone reccomended Floyd Harbor Veterinary. We were using Island Trees Veterinary. (end quote)

Newlife64 is trying to get financial assistance, but has not been successful. If you know of a good vet in the area that could help, please post.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I am soooo sorry! I wish I could help. I pray somewhere, someone, can step in and help. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts