Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got kind of annoyed when i brought brady to the vet last time. I was quoted a certian price over the phone and but the visit it balloned to like 5 times the price i was quoted. I have no problem paying what i need to pay for my dog but i just dont like feeling tricked..... is this a "regular" thing that happens in vets ofices. Also I need some advice on what i should do regarding his Front Line and Interceptor supplements. The vet said I should just go to her office and make an appointment and get the meds from her because if i buy the package of 3 from pet meds he will out grow them before he will finish the 3 pack is this true?? I would just hate to pay 55 dollars for a vet vist and then for the meds for the next 12 months if he doesnt need to see the vet every month KWIM? It would honestly be cheaper for me to buy the pack of 3 from pet meds and then have him grow out of that weight class and buy the new pack ect .. I have every intention of taking him for his vac's but I dont see why its neccesarry for him to go every month till his weight stableizes (sp?)

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Wow are vet doesnt make us bring them back in after seeing them once, to get HW or Frontline. If we arent sure about weight, we can just bring them in and weight them. But once they have see them, then we can just go in a get it or call it in and they will mail it to us. We do have to bring them in every year to have them tested for HW.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I don't understand why doctors and vets can't understand that people like to know what things are going to cost ahead of time!! I mean, what if you went to the grocery store and had no idea what the prices were til you went through checkout!
I think the range of weights on Frontline and Interceptor is broad enough if you bought a 3 pack from PetMeds (or wherever you buy them--check on this site for low price sites) you wouldn't have a problem.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I travel an hour and a half for my vet. Now that may not sound like a lot to some, but I live in northern New Jersey and on my way to this vet I am sure I pass over one hundred other vets. I have dealt with several over the years much closer but none compare to this vet. She is very accomadating, willing to listen, open to suggestions, KNOWS her stuff and is very resonable in prices (which is the least important but kind of like whipped cream on top of a Sundae). AS an example of price I recently need an antibiotic for Keeper. She called the vet 2 blocks from my house. She called in a seven day script with three refills. I picked up the meds, $50 and change for 7 pills. I get the exact same from her at 30 pills for $102. After I got the first seven from my local vet I called my vet and asked her to mail me 30 days worth. Don't get me wrong if it cost $50 per pill fine I have no problem with that, but so many vets really pad there med prices.
Moral of my ramble, you need to be comfortable in all aspects of your vet, just like you do for your own doctors.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I buy my frontline at fleet farm and save a ton of money. I'm going to see if they sell the heartworm too. I've had that happen before with the cat's I've owned. The vet's office I'm at now does not pressure me into buying anything extra I do not want.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A puppy needs to go in monthly at first, and it is easier to buy the heartworm and flea stuff each time you go in for shots if you are already paying for the visit anyway. Since the puppy will be growing SO MUCH they do often jump up quickly to the higher dosage within a month, but after the first 5 months you should be able to get the 3 packs and be within the weight limits for the dosage. That is how it worked for us anyway.

I don't see why your vet is having you come in and PAY for a visit just to get weighed to buy flea and heartworm meds... that's silly! You should be able to weigh them for free then buy the single dose from them anytime, even after puppyhood! I don't see how paying for a visit (which is like paying for the Vet's time) can be justified. Unless the vet has to weigh the dog themselves (which is dumb if that is the case). Surely you can weigh your own dog without taking time away from the vet!

You have to find a vet you are comfortable with. If you can't trust them (to treat for the price they quoted you for example, or at least let you know it will be more before performing services) then it may not be a good fit. I have been through my fair share of vets, and once you find the one that fits you will know. =)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ambikagr if you dont mind telling me where is the vets office you go to? I live in ocean county Brick... is it far?
Im going to call the vets office and speak to the receptionist about just comming in a picking up pills if they wont let me do it then im going to call the vet in the next town over.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
The vet is located in Washington (Warren County).
The name of the practice is Pleasant Valley Veternarian Services. The vet's name is Dr. Mary Stankovics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are in a high incidence area for Lymes I would urge you to do a little research between Frontline and K9 Advantix. I lost a dog to Lymes who was on Frontline, a while back, which may not have happened with Advantix.

If you want to save a few bucks on the flea/tick supp's try getting them online for savings.

I would have a serious talk with your vet and have them justify the charges; they will think twice next time they bill you.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I was in Costco recently and they are now selling frontline in the stores (and online).

Our rescue's veterinarian cautions about getting heartworm pills online from untrusted sources because of the risk of counterfitting. It's my understanding the HW manufacturer's will pay for any treatments if the HW preventatives fail, but will only do so if purchased from the veterinarian who prescribed it--I may not have the exact details right.
In any event she strongly urges people not to buy any meds off of Craig's list due to quality/counterfit issues.

I can do price matching for meds at my vets. Basically you find the best price online (they don't allow us to use Canadian pharmacies) and add shipping and they will price match it in the hospital. That usually works well for us and we save a lot on the expensive meds. The only issue's I've encountered with price matching are with the reception staff and meds I'm price matching through a human pharmacy $4 or $10 program. I recently took a thyroid $10 price match in from Walmart for a 90 day supply and the poor receptionist could not figure out the conversion of miligrams (used by the vets) and micrograms (used by Walmart and most human pharmacies). She didn't understand the conversion when I asked her to google it....;)I got the vet to write me a prescription at that point and went and got the dogs a pharmacy account at the nearby Sams Club.

·
3 goldens
11,704 Posts
I only get heartworm meds from my vet as if they fail, the manufactuer will pay for treatment IF the eds were bought from the vet, but notif bought on line, etc. However I hav bought Frotline from like Dr. Foster and Smith, but no longer use i as it stopped working down in ths neck ofthe woods a couple of years ago

I just go in and tellthem I need my Iterceptor White (the box is white) and no problem. I pay I think it is $38 for 6 of tablets at my vets.

My golden girl KayCee had puton lots of weight during knee trouble, sugeries and recovereis. I finally got the weight off, but for the rest of her life, over 5 ears, I tok her in at least once mnth to get her weighed and there was no chare.

When my rish Stter was diagnosed with bone cancera little over 12yea go, we opted against treatments as he was pas his 2th birthay. However it was clear we would not let him uffe. For 10 weeks I took him fishing every day, let him eat what he anted to eat, and2-3 times a week I took himn and gothim weight, my vet watched him walked, asked questions and woulsshake his head and say "I don't understand how he is sill ging so strong" n smile and say "We dn't have to do it yet. He never charged for a single oneof those littlepp in visits.

Gues it all depends on the vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts