Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new pet owner and got a baby golden girl a week and a half ago.
My first question is about the vet. I took her a couple of days ago and was charged $112 for an exam and a fecal matter test. I want to an animal clinic and called around beforehand and was told this place was a good price. Does this not seem too high? Everyone else I know says that they pay around 50-60 bucks and thats including getting shots. I just would like to know if this is standard or not for a first visit so that i can change my vet accordingly.

Also, I have a question about housebreaking. We have been diligent at it for the past couple of weeks and she hasn't eliminated in the house for almost a week now. But when can i expect her to let me know when she needs to go? Everytime I look away or if I go to the bathroom then thats when she decides to use the bathroom so I have to keep a constant eye on her.

Thanks for the help!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF. Please make yourself at home here and be sure to post some pictures.

As for vet pricing that does sound high to me but haven't had those procedures in a long time. I would ask around with local dog people.

There is no set age when puppies start asking to go out. Some train very easily and some take almost 6 months to get the hand of it. The more they get praise for going in the right spot the quicker they will learn. This means taking them out on leash every single time. But it works well for sure.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The puppy's last appointment that had and exam, fecal exam, 1st vaccine, pills for worms, (abandoned puppy), 1st worming, and medicine for loose stools came to 115.12

BUT this is a no frills vet that works with shelters and stuff. The vet I was using before would have been twice that. I was using it because it was closer but the prices were insane because it was kind of fancy.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I checked the cost for Hank's first check up (8/12/09) fecal analysis $15.00, exam $31.50. It may depend what part of the country you are in and the size of the practice. My vet is a small father & son practice that I've been going to over 35 years.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I think my "new pet" exam, shots and a fecal exam and the cost of the worming medication was about $125. I also got talked into buying doggie vitamins which were about 12 bucks so that puts it right about what you paid. It may have been more for the "new pet"....I got the impression I was paying more for that since they spent quite a bit of time with us.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think you got off easy! My first vet appt cost $285 (including $37 for medicine). The exam was $72 and the fecal exam was $43. The rest was for vaccines, heartworm, and frontline. My vet is pretty state of the art, though, he even does laprascopic spays. Its going to cost alot, but he is really fantastic. If I ever had a serious problem, I know they are the ones to handle it.
As for housetraining, Josie was doing well, but if I missed the slightest cue, she'd just pee on the floor. So, I started using clicker training just for the housebreaking, and its worked fantastic. She looks at me while she pees, just waiting for the click! No accidents since, and she now whines and pants when she needs to go out. Maybe give it a try - can't hurt, might help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
We haven't had an accident for two weeks now (yea, Maggie!)... but her messages still are very subtle. We put a bell on the door and will probably just leave it there as some have mentioned. We're very diligent about bringing her out any time she gets out of her crate and plays hard. When she runs down the hall fast, she has to go. She always stops for a gulp of water and hits the bell. When she hits the bell frantically, or starts nipping us like a maniac, she usually has to poop! And we still give her oodles of praise when she goes, and once in a while, still pop a treat in her mouth! Good luck!

Vet bills certainly will vary by location etc. Maggie's first exam was $89 for a wellness check, and several shots.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Yes, that is the normal price for the vets office. For me to have Bailey's first 3 vet visits for the shots and the spaying cost me in total of $750.

It's pretty expensive owning a pet.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Here...vet visit is $40.00 fecals are $20.00

·
Registered
774 Posts
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it --- but our Duffy is perfectly housebroken and rings a bell whenever he wants to go out.

It seemed like it took him a long time to catch on, but since he's only 15 weeks old, I guess it couldn't have been that long!

We hung bells next to, not on, the door. Whenever we were taking him out, I would take his paw in my hand, ring the bell with his paw while saying, "do you want to go out? Ring the bell!"

After a couple of weeks, he would consistently ring the bell when I would ask him "do you want to go out?" or if I would give him the command "ring the bell." So I thought I had trained him incorrectly!

But then the day came when we were sitting in the living room watching tv and we heard the bell ring in the kitchen! I swear, everyone in the living room tripped over one another running into the kitchen to praise Duffy. From that day, he consistenly just goes in the kitchen and rings the bell to let us know he wants out.

I'll tell you, its very impressive to company!

Kris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts