Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all :wavey: !

I've been reading on here for a couple of days -love seeing all the pictures and found some helpful info already.

We will be picking up our puppy in just under 2 weeks time *yay*
Found an AWESOME breeder not far from us and picked 'our' pup last weekend. We're having a boy and naming him Teddy :D

'We' is myself, Marie, DH and two kids -DD (7) and DS (2) and not to forget our two cats Lilly+Ledley (siblings, 2.5 y.o.).
We're living in the SW of England (Plymouth, Devon to be exact).

2 minor issues

1) what do you put in the crate and should we section it off to start with (it's a 'large' size measuring 36'' x 25'' x 28'' which we got after one of our cats had an accident and was unable to move for 2+ months... I'm expecting to buy a larger one when Teddy is fully grown ?)

2) what about the 5 steps leading up to our front path and another 8 steps outside the back door leading up to our garden (we basically live on a slope...) ?? Do I have to carry him for the first 12 months ?
If yes, that's fine -I just want to know ! That way I won't just let him out the back door but carry him to where he's 'safe'

I'm sure I'll have TONS more questions (don't get me started on TOYS and
grooming tools !!!) but that's what's burning on my mind right now ;)

TIA and I'm sure you'll be seeing lots of me in the future. I'll try and attach a couple of pics of Teddy + DD which were taken last weekend @ 5 weeks x

All the best and thanks for reading this far
Marie x

Attachments

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome Marie from Georgia USA :wavey:

I am by no means a puppy expert. It sounds like you have a lot to figure out. I though I would bump this up and hope some of the experts chime in.

Al

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Marie, welcome to the forum. Teddy is super cute!

No advice on crating I'm afraid as we didn't use one with Hector(aka 'his lordship').

Have you found the UK group yet? If you go to community and click on social groups you'll find us all there.

Sarah & Hector

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sarah + Al !

I'll look for the UK group :)
HAVE owned dogs before (grew up with German Shepherds, Dogue de Bordeaux and other large breeds) but new to Goldens.

I'm sure we'll get there :p
Thanks for the welcome !
Marie

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You can make the crate smaller so there isnt as much room. They wont potty in the same place as they sleep if it is a smaller place. My crates are 42 inches high. I didnt really put anything in the bottom for my pups to sleep on as they like to chew.

I let my pups go up and down the steps at places. You just dont want them running full out up and down the steps for their joints. So he should be fine going up and down the five steps.

Your pup is such a cutie and so is your daughter. I bet the last two weeks will just fly by especially with the holidays. Have you picked out a name?
Welcome to the forum.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Hello Teddy and...

Teddy is so-o-o adorable! How old is he?

Our house has 7 steps down to the yard area where Maisie goes to "potty". She came to our family at 13 weeks old. Since I'd been cautioned that she shouldn't go up and down the steps too many times each day, I carried her for about the first week and a half. As she grew and got comfortable going down the steps, I let her start doing that. Fairly soon thereafter, she started going up and down.

I've basically been told that pups shouldn't race up and down the steps in play, so she still doesn't go up and down to our second floor in the house more than a few times each day and she'll be 6 months old next week.

I'm probably being overly cautious, but our first Golden, a rescue, had bad hips. When she got to be about 10, we had to build a ramp for her to go outside. By the time she was 12, we were carrying her up the stairs. So, I figure better to be careful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Carol + jluke (? couldn't find your name in your post) ;)

We're naming him Teddy and he was just over 4 weeks old in that pic.
He will be 7 weeks when we pick him up end of next week.

That's good to know that walking a couple of steps SLOWLY will be alright.
Our breeder said absolutely NO stairs at all during the first year
(which is why we'll be keeping him downstairs for the time being).

Our breeder's first Golden had bad HD so she's taking GREAT care and
precautions to ensure HER pups are healthy... which I'm very happy about ;)

Can't wait to bring him home now ! Will try to find a divider for the crate
which is proving difficult... we'll see.

Thanks for the welcome!
Marie x

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Teddy is a cutie!
I had never heard about not going up and down steps with goldens till now. It seems to be especially recommended in Europe. My sister recently mentioned that, she lives in Germany.
I have only five steps, just like you, so that is not an issue. With past Golden I have lived in houses with three staircases, but luckily was never an issue either.
My Golden Toby has a bad left hip and was just operated on it, but it was not due to stair climbing, so actually you never know what their hips will be like as adults. You just have to try to do your best to prevent your pup/dog from having any injuries and hope they are not born with hip displasia which will become obvious when they get older. I just cannot imagine though anybody being able to carry a Golden up and down stairs for 12 months. I would not be able to. At six months, Golden are already big.
Anyway, enjoy your new pup when he arrives. Goldens truly are your best friend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts