Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Cooper for a couple of weeks now and he has VERY bad dandruff. He had it very minor when we brought him home but the last couple of days he has become very flakey. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the heat or not, it's been over 90 here the last few days. I was told to put a coupld drops of fish oil in his food which I can not find anywhere in town to save my life. What are some things that you guys have done in the past with success. Thanks a lot, and I'll bet Cooper thanks you too.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Several of my dogs suffered from dandruff/dry skin. My vet prescribe a med called "3 V caps". They are basically omega 3 fish oil capsules for dogs. Another BIG help has been changing over to a food called "Canidae". This was recommended to me by the breeder of the pup that I am about to purchase. I have begun to switch my other two dogs over to it...and in just a couple of weeks their coats have improved dramatically!!!

Good luck...ear infections and "hot spots"...the lot of a golden owner!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You definitely need to check the food. It may not contain enough fats and proper vitamins that the skin and coat required. Once you switched to a better food, it will take sometime for you to notice the change.

Treating it aside from switching food, you can also try using a better dog shampoo that contain lanolin or aloe vera. Brush the coat thoroughly to loosen the dandruff before bath.

Since it's summer, you may want to consider give your dog a hair/fur cut. It might help you... if you decide to go to a groomer, ask them about hot oil. These are just my thoughts...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I switched food a bit over a week ago and I also started to use a shampoo designed for dandruff and Cooper looks great now. He still gets a little dry skin here and there but now when I brush him is doesn't look like he was snowed on. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Elsa has the same problem. Just use oatmeal shampoo and a scrubbing mitt next time you give him a bath. It might just be that he rolled in something that dried out his skin. But as for suplements...I have no clue..:/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts