Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: Roomates and BF and I both got puppies in the spring. We have a GR, they have a Choc. Lab. I work from home so I practically took care of their puppy growing up, on top of that they stay out late often from work until midnight without informing me, etc. It's crate trained and I've just been asked to do the basic let it in the yard for a while, put it back. Both the puppies get play time together, etc. during the day,

So fastforward to today, their lab is QUITE obese as it is lucky to get 1 walk a month (work always goes late, etc. etc. excuses). My roommate was in denial saying her parents were big boned and so is she. Surprise when she got spayed 3 days ago and his vet gave him the obese puppy lecture.

But he's placing ALL the blame on the 'high protein food' and claims even the vet blames the food. (Was on the Acana Large Breed Puppy 34% protein). Meanwhile my dog's on Orijen 40% protein, goes for walks everyday and she's perfect weight! So he says the vets Medi-Cal diet will fix everything. Well I read the bag and it's 28% protein, and advertises 'high proteint to promote weight loss!' Lol! (I can't even discuss nutrition with him, he's very insulted by advice from outsiders).

Anyways I'm just venting at the stubborness to walk his dog and take the blame, epsecially since they're running her around full tilt with a laser light right now 3 days after her surgery but said "We're not allowed to take her for walks for a couple weeks, the vet said so." SIGH...........so painful to watch!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Maybe you can start walking the lab with your pup so she can get some of the weight off. It is not to help the owner but to help the pup. It is hard sometimes being around people that dont know anything and dont want to learn.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
People just don't want to hear that they have a fat dog. It's really sad, because the poor dog is the one who suffers because of the owner's stubborness. My sister has 2 obese dogs and still will not admit that they are huge. She swears she doesn't feed them much but she never walks them and gives them treats and rawhides all day long.

I am watching a friend's golden and she said "oh, don't make fun of Marley, she's really fat and I just don't know why". Then I read her instructions and they were to feed Marley, who should be about 60 lbs max, 3 cups of food a day and their other dog 4 cups a day. And if the other dog doesn't finish his food, Marley does. Now, they are feeding Pedigree, so it's got a lot of extra fillers, but even so, she shouldn't be getting more than 2 cups a day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's so frustrating when people put so much weight on their dogs and can't figure out why :doh:

Hah--it's funny they blamed it on the food and not how much of the food she's eating :p:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Walking is amazing... Sierra was about 90 lbs when she came to stay forever with us.
We walked her 1/2 hour, morning and night almost everyday. (When it was too cold, we did the short route of 10-15 minutes).
She's about 78 lbs now and a good weight. We watcher closely, she does get treats but we always off set with play time.
She just had her yearly check up and our Vet says she healthy and beautiful!
I think she never got walked with her other family, I'm sure that also lead to bad behavior too.
Now of course she's got us wrapped around her paw, but still get a walk in the morning.
Karen

·
Registered
129 Posts
My aunt recently came into town for a craft sale, and while she was there, she dropped her 3 yr old doggie, Zoe, off with us for a play-date. I was shocked. I just saw Zoe a year ago and she was a hyper, fit, fun-loving sweetheart. Over the past year they had let her gain soooo much weight and it was so sad. She's still a sweetheart but could barely run around and you could just tell she was uncomfortable moving around at all. I don't understand how people can't recognize that their dog is not leading a quality life.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just saw my friends lab mix today and she's up to 80 pounds! Her ideal weight should be 60 at the most. She is getting older so the added weight on her hips makes it hard for her to move around much. But of course, when I said she was fat, he got all sad and said she's just getting older and that's what happens. Uh, no.

Anyway, now that I've hijacked, I would probably take the dog for one walk a day with your pup, even just to help the dog, not the owners. I sure hope they learn quick.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I should just take her for walks, she'd love it. It's even more sad because she's still a puppy!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
My Willow was always a fit doggie until she had to go on meds for a really bad UTI at first for 10 days and then for 20. She porked up bigtime so I guess there are some meds that make doggies gain weight. She lost some but still isn't her size 2 self and may never be again. I am sure she feels better thin - especially at her age. I hope you find it in your heart to walk your roommates dog for the dogs sake. It does suck and yes, he shouldn't have a dog but what else can you do?

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
I would definitely walk that pup. For what it's worth it sounds like the little lab is yours anyway. I realize it would be helping the roomies who don't deserve it but I wouldn't let that pup not have a good quality of life if I could help it. Unfortunately you just can't make some people realize the error of their ways. It's always someone elses or something elses fault.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
hmmm I see this two ways.

1. Since your home and able to have the pup out when your home...and don't mind why not take care of it.
2. Your a dog walker for them, I would work out a deal and say sure...for a fee or they should really be helping you out...be it on electric or cable or something to balance in return for your kindness.

I do think for a lesson in taking care of a pet they need to repay you in some way. Yes you can do it fro free - but they don't learn a pup takes time and money.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would also do them a favor and feed the lab when you can, and give her smaller meals when you do. Won't hurt!

I see that all the time, people don't want to be told their dog is fat. My SIL's cat was so big, it couldn't groom itself properly, and then it would jump on their bbq to get to the neighbor's roof and back again - broke the bbq! When a vet suggested putting the cat on a diet (we're talking basketball shaped cat!), she swore at the vet and never went back. The other inlaw's cat, same thing, she's been FAT for years, they do feed two meals a day but she's still not where she should be. Then they complain when they come here and the dogs/cat are so 'bony'... yeah ok.

Lana

1 - 13 of 13 Posts