Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's probably because I'm home all day with her, but I'm a little concerned that Molly is so attached to me.

She will not get up in the morning unless I'm up (which means if I sleep in she will not leave my side until I'm up, despite everyone else in the family being up). She will not go up to bed at night until I do, even if everyone else has already gone up and they invite her. When she has to go outside to do her business she will not go out with anyone else unless I tell her to.

I don't mind her attachment, she is my baby. But I worry that she might be too attached. Is this a Golden trait or just Molly?

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I think it's a Golden thing...Chester is a velcro dog, if my husband is home that dog is stuck to his side. Murphy is also becoming "his" dog even if I have claimed him as mine!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Buddy is a little like that. He won't go out for my DH unless I tell him it's ok to go . Sometimes he won't go unless I go to the door with him. If I'm in bed sick he stays right by the bed. When I'm gone my DH says he just lays by the door. But I was in the Hospital a while back and he did survive wich gave me hope.
Bonnie&Buddy

·
Registered
615 Posts
Marty is our 3rd golden and more of a velcro dog than the other 2, plus all our cats combined. He's has his head in the dryer, toilet, whatever. He follows me in the bathroom or scratches at the door. I know I wanted a buddy dog, but...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Mine are too, Darby much more then Kirby. They don't get up with DH (he does get up at 5 am) and they stay up with me. Darby walks me to bed but usually goes back down to sleep on the sofa with Kirby. They go out usually together, but Darby won't stay out very long to play unless I am with him (or there is snow :) ).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Marty is our 3rd golden and more of a velcro dog than the other 2, plus all our cats combined. He's has his head in the dryer, toilet, whatever. He follows me in the bathroom or scratches at the door. I know I wanted a buddy dog, but...
...and waiting on the mat outside the shower, lying behind me when I'm at the kitchen or bathroom sink, nose in the dishwasher when I'm un/loading, follows me to the basement, under my feet when sitting at the table, front half of his body on the recliner's raised foot rest while I watch TV or read. Hank is truly a velcro dog. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I know it's probably because I'm home all day with her, but I'm a little concerned that Molly is so attached to me.

She will not get up in the morning unless I'm up (which means if I sleep in she will not leave my side until I'm up, despite everyone else in the family being up). She will not go up to bed at night until I do, even if everyone else has already gone up and they invite her. When she has to go outside to do her business she will not go out with anyone else unless I tell her to.

I don't mind her attachment, she is my baby. But I worry that she might be too attached. Is this a Golden trait or just Molly?

Are you the one that feeds her in the morning? I know that when my fiance gets up for work before me, the dogs will just jump into his warm spot on the bed and sleep with me until I get up, but if I have to get up before him, they are both up with me. They know that when mom gets up, it means eatin time!

The velcroness you're describing definitely sounds like just a normal Golden thing. I will say that before I adopted Dillon, I did feel that Sam was becoming way too dependent on me.. he literally was not able to entertain himself for 5 minutes without coming up to me to whine at me to play with him or cuddle him.. in his case, I did feel it was more than just normal Golden velcroness, and thought he would benefit from having a dog buddy.

When Dillon came onto the scene, Sam became a much different dog (in a good way!) and I got my sanity back lol He's still very much attached to me and is on my lap 90% of the time lol but he also is able to entertain himself, or find entertainment by enticing Dillon to play, and the whining at me 24/7 stopped.

What you described sounds nothing like what I went thru with Sam though... and sounds more like what it's like in my house now with both my dogs. Which is great!! I wouldn't trade my two mama's boys for the world! (although I wouldn't mind being able to use the bathroom without the two of them rushing in with me just to lie on the floor and stare at me LOL)

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, thank you all. Sounds like I have a normal baby. Molly is fed by everyone so it's not a food thing for her. Besides which she is not food motivated (in fact, looking over at her bowl I don't think she's even eaten her breakfast yet). She will play with the kids and DH if they initiate it but I am always the first one she comes to and it is me she follows and sits with (on, lol).

Like I said, I really don't mind cause I love my snuggly girl, I was just hoping it was a normal thing for GRDs and not something I should be concerned about. (You know, making her more independent or less reliable on me). She did survive the overnight trip I took a few weekends ago so I guess I shouldn't worry.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
She did survive the overnight trip I took a few weekends ago so I guess I shouldn't worry.
Heh, heh, Darby always to the back door (to garage) when I leave then plops down for a nap. Half the time when I come home he is so sound asleep (laying up against the door) that I can't get in. :D

The first time I went away, DH said Kirby paced half the night but then settled down nicely. Darby had to be on his lap every night. I was visiting my sister for a week. :p:

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie has been like that (always wanting to be with me) but lately I have noticed a bit more independence. If I go to bed early he comes up with me but then goes back downstairs if DH is still up. I think maybe it is his age (18 months). I don't know how old Molly is.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I think it is a Gr thing. My BassettX is much less Mama dependent than Copper.
On the other hand Jack knows that Copper is #1 since he was here first and is an old guy so that may have something to do with it.
I've had 3 GRs or GRX before Copper and they were all adult rescues. They attached to me in less than a week and one would almost go into DTs when I left the room. He stayed where told, but his umbilical cord really was not very long at all.:)

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jamie has been like that (always wanting to be with me) but lately I have noticed a bit more independence. If I go to bed early he comes up with me but then goes back downstairs if DH is still up. I think maybe it is his age (18 months). I don't know how old Molly is.
Molly is 18 months too. I was out late the other night (unusual for me) and when I came home Molly was downstairs waiting for me while everyone else, including DH, was in bed already. Dh said he invited her up but she just curled up in her spot in the living room and waited for me. Such a silly baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts