Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After many many months of my dog having allergies or sensitivies, the only thing that we found works is The Honest Kitchen (Kindly) with ground turkey. I also add either fish oil or coconut oil because he has dry skin.

Other foods either gave him diarrhoea, ear infections or intense itching. But I am worried about not giving him enough variety.

Any tips or tricks on what I should do?

Thank you!

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Have you considered either a home cooked or raw diet?

For example, you could feed half his daily portion of Honest Kitchen and the feed the other half either raw or home cooked.

Have you any idea of what your pups sensitivities are?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Solid Gold vegetarian food is great. My Golden got hot spots, ear infections etc. I put her on that and no problem in 12 years.
The vet says she looks great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Solid Gold Holistique Blend.

I love their products and my 12.5 has been on them for years.
My new Bella at 6 months is on Royal Canine High Energy food.
It's the only one that keeps her from getting diarrhea right now.
And it's got corn and chicken by products in it and I don't like
that at all. I've tried to switch to Solid Gold Puppy but
she just gets sick. Will stick with Royal Canine for another
few months and try again. $70 some a bag is horrible.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hi all,

After many many months of my dog having allergies or sensitivies, the only thing that we found works is The Honest Kitchen (Kindly) with ground turkey. I also add either fish oil or coconut oil because he has dry skin.

Other foods either gave him diarrhoea, ear infections or intense itching. But I am worried about not giving him enough variety.

Any tips or tricks on what I should do?

Thank you!
I think its not so much about needing variety, but making sure the diet has everything your dog needs. A dog doesn't need to have variety in their diet as long as their diet provides all the protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals that a dog needs.

In fact, if your dog has allergies and sensitivities, you might want to avoid variety and keep it limited. Dogs, just like humans, develop allergies at any time over their lives, so you want to keep as many proteins novel as possible if your dog has a sensitive GI tract, in case he ever develops an intolerance or allergy to something in the Honest Kitchen or turkey. Furthermore, something else just may not work. If its working, why change it?

I would consult with your vet and possibly a veterinary nutritionist to go over your dog's current diet though and see if there's anything lacking. If you are considering switching to a raw or home cooked diet, you would want to do this anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts