Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting ready for my GR puppy to come home next weekend (he will be 8 wks old then). The breeder recommended Vari Kennel (made by PetMate).
My question is how does Vari Kennel compare to a regular Walmart plastic kennel?? Pls comment.
Price difference is almost x2 for the Vari Kennel, and I am absolutely fine spending more if it is really worth it in the short/long run.

Thank you!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have 6 Vari Kennels and they have held up great. I didnt want to go something cheaper made with the chewing etc.

·
Nicole
227 Posts
My 2 yr old did fine in the wal-mart brand kennel, but you can def see the quality diffrence between the 2 brands. I also did not have a chewer but there really wasn't anything for him to get hold of to destroy.
I bought the x-large size from the start and placed a large storage bucket at the rear so he couldn't use the entire space & this worked fine for potty training.(as suggested by his breeder)
so i guess what I am saying is you don't have to get the name brand nor multiple sized carriers, but of course, as with everything dogs, this is all dog-dependant too!
good luck & enjoy your pup!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
VariKennels are really good quality kennels - Dont know the Walmart version....
Really examine how the top and bottom halves attach to one another and how the door latches...
Dont rule out a used one - The doors can easily be replaced if they look a bit tarnished or rusty....

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Our Vari-Kennel is going on 6 years old and looks as good as new. Of course Shadow wasn't in it very long. Shadow didn't mind the Vari-Kennel, but Tucker will NOT go near it. I pulled it out one day and he would have nothing to do with it. I climbed in and Shadow tried to join me!

Where do you put 6 Vari-Kennels?

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
On the same subject, I am getting an eight week old puppy in September and I was planning to get a smaller crate to start with. What size do you all think I should get? Smaller is better because I plan to take him with me to my office at first but I don't want him to be cramped. Susan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts