Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across this topic a few times but not frequently enough to be able to form an opinion on it.

Some people are vacuuming their dogs' coats to control the shedding. Is anyone else doing this? I find most dogs/cats just run away as soon as it's turned out so thinking this would have to be introduced during puppyhood to make it a pleasant experience for the dog as opposed to a frightening one.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some input/thoughts!

Thanks 馃檹馃徎

Registered
My girl Tawny liked to be vacuumed. She thought it was a massage but I had a not too strong canister type vacuum.

Registered
I have a Rainbow- I vacuum my dogs all the time. They love being vacuumed.

Registered
I guess that depends on a dog. We have Dyson V11 Absolute and every time we use it, our pup bolts to the farthest reaches of our home. 馃槃 Though, i've let our pup to sniff the Dyson from everywhere (placed it on the ground, engine off) but the loud noise it makes (due to the powerful suction), still scares our pup.

Registered
My dogs don't seem to mind it, but i don't think it helps much with the hair. Granted I could be doing it all wrong too ;)

Registered
For my dogs, part of the love of the vacuum is that when they are puppies, like, from the time they are born, I leave the Rainbow running in their room at least a couple times a week just for the noise of it and preparation for life in another home someday. So noise doesn't play into it. And the actual vacuuming I suspect they learn from each other- it's like a body cupping I suspect.

Registered
We much prefer brushing the pups as it has many benefits over using a vacuum. I also know that small vacuums typically have a high noise decibel rating, meaning anyone using it should wear ear protection, including your dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts