Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know Archie (13 1/2 week old Newf) is not a golden, but I hope someone has some suggestions...

This is the scenario: On February 12th Archie got his 2nd 5 way puppy shot made by Pfizer at the vet's office. On the following thursday which was one week from the shot date, he was very tired. Enough that I commented on it to a few people. Friday same thing, but by afternoon, he was walking a little funny, not enough that I thought something was wrong, but by the early evening, I knew he was not right. He was having difficulty standing, his rear would just go out from under him, he would bump into things and just fall over. I was panicked. I took him outside, he couldn't even walk in the grass. He would go to pee and just fall over. I contacted my breeder and the vet - neither was in, answering service suggested the emergency vet. In the meantime a friend of my breeders called me back and said could be a vaccine reaction, take his temp, if normal, bring him in to the vet in the am. Well his temp was fine, his appetite was fine, he was getting around with our help. So I took him to the vet in am. They ran blood work, which showed he was a little anemic, took him for x-rays which came back normal. Vet gave me some worming meds to see if that was the reason he was anemic.

He has gotten better, but he's definitely not back to normal. He is scheduled to go back to the vet tomorrow. I'd like to have them test for a vaccine reaction, but when I asked them, the vet didn't know exactly what to test for.. Or could it be from his microchip which was done at the same time?

My question to you is did you ever have anything like this happen? Or heard about it happening to anyone else?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Contact Kris Christine, a member here. She is co founder of the rabies challenge fund with Dr. Jean Dodds and would def know the questions to ask and the way to go. I believe her contact page has an email link and she is really good about getting back to you.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have nothing, but I think some others here have had real issues due to some vaccinations, even some deaths. I hope your Pup keeps getting stronger and this will pass. Fingers & Paws crossed and prayers headed your way.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My almost 12 year old golden had a mild reaction to a vaccination yesterday--extreme lethargy and difficulty standing to the point I was worried. I went to the vets today to pick up a prescription and mentioned it and the nurse said these things do happen. Usually they call each patient receiving vaccinations the following day to check up and ask for reactions. Fortunately today he was fine, begging for his morning walk, tail wagging. What a welcome sight, even if he was impatient for me to get going!
I hope you find answers to your pup's condition.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much P&M Mom, I did send an email to Kris Christine. I am desperate to get to the bottom of this.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
She is very knowledgeable about vaccine reactions. Please keep us posted. We're sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Betty

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
No info from me. I just hope Archie is doing better. One of my horses doesn't handle the 5 way shot well. I have them given individually on different days. Maybe that would help Archie. He's a mighty big boy to be helping around. I hope he is better today!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Poor guy!

I would suggest you do some reading and research. It might be wise with him to wait till he's a year old and get titers done, rather than continuing with vaccinations on the same schedule. I do know of some dogs who had reactions to the vaccines, each time they were done the reactions were more severe. For me personally I'm allergic to some antibiotics, the first reaction was a week with a horrible rash from head to toe - I was told next time I wouldn't be so lucky and I would be risking my life to take them again.

Hope he's feeling better by now anyway, that's a lot of puppy to have to help around.

Lana

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Archie isn't that big yet. Per his breeder his lines grow very slow. I don't mind carrying him around. Vet suggested a trip to the neurologist. We have that scheduled for Monday. Old vet and new vet don't think it's a vaccine reaction. I'm so lost as to what to do with him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts