Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Thank you all for being such a great community. I was hoping to get some advice on a vaccine reaction I am seeing in my new puppy. I have a sweet 3-month-old Golden named Kash.

Kash had his first DHPP shot at 8 weeks with no problems. I took him when he was 12 weeks to get the second DHPP and Bordetella ( the vet pushed me to do Bordetella). After the second round, he had a reaction to the DHPP vaccine with a significant amount of swelling on his back leg(where the vaccine injection was given). The swelling disappeared after 2 weeks but now he is losing his fur. I called the vet and they said it was a normal reaction and the hair "should" grow back. He has no other symptoms and seems to be very happy, drinking and eating just fine.

Has anyone else seen fur loss after a vaccine with their puppies? Hoping there is not something else going on with him.

Thank so much :)

I have attached pictures of little Kash and his fur spot.

Attachments

·
Kristy
9,937 Posts
You might want to consider in the future not doing multiple vaccines at one time. I would also discuss this with the breeder and start researching groups on facebook to see if you can find one with people who have a puppy who has had a reaction. I'm glad your puppy is ok. I am NOT anti vaccine, however I do believe that we are doing things to our immune systems that we don't fully understand and it may be that some people and some dogs are not good candidates for a lot of immunizations. We are vaccinating for a lot of things that we didn't used to and it may be we are over doing it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The breeder of my puppy gave me a letter for the Vet, specifically requesting not to combine vaccines , but even then it was a bit of an uphill battle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder of my puppy gave me a letter for the Vet, specifically requesting not to combine vaccines , but even then it was a bit of an uphill battle.
Thank you for your reply! I know going forward I will never give him more than one at a time, I just hope I didn't cause him any long term damage :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
Question...was it an uphill battle because...1. even with not combining vaccines or 2. because your vet refused or resisted not combining vaccines?

If your vet resisted, I would suggest a new vet is in order. Another consideration, you may want to check out Tittering for future vaccinations and boosters....we do this for both our dogs! Talk with your vet about it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read a lot about Tittering and I will be doing that. It was an uphill battle because the vet pressured me into doing DHPP and Bordatella at the same time. I am a first-time pup mom so I am trying to do the best I can and had no idea it was not safe to combine vaccines, the vet assured me it was fine.. clearly, I need to question the vet a little more.

I will definitely be looking for a new vet though, I had been using petco and I realized that was definitely a mistake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We found one of our Golden's was vaccine sensitive and went through a special drawn out shot sequence. At first the vet thought it was the Leptospirosis vaccine in the DHLPP shot but was found to be sensitive with all shots. In short all vaccines was given separately in a three and half month time period, he was prepped with steroid Prednisone and Diphenhydramine shots before every vaccine and was given Benadryl and Prednisone tablets for three days. The plan is to do a titer test next year so we may skip a year of DHPP and to keep the Rabies vaccine apart at different times other vaccines. Prefectly normal healthy dog... just his cells don't like the change vaccines make. I believe yours just had a mild reaction and have nothing to worry about.
Hi All!

Thank you all for being such a great community. I was hoping to get some advice on a vaccine reaction I am seeing in my new puppy. I have a sweet 3-month-old Golden named Kash.

Kash had his first DHPP shot at 8 weeks with no problems. I took him when he was 12 weeks to get the second DHPP and Bordetella ( the vet pushed me to do Bordetella). After the second round, he had a reaction to the DHPP vaccine with a significant amount of swelling on his back leg(where the vaccine injection was given). The swelling disappeared after 2 weeks but now he is losing his fur. I called the vet and they said it was a normal reaction and the hair "should" grow back. He has no other symptoms and seems to be very happy, drinking and eating just fine.

Has anyone else seen fur loss after a vaccine with their puppies? Hoping there is not something else going on with him.

Thank so much :)

I have attached pictures of little Kash and his fur spot.
We found one of our Golden's was vaccine sensitive and went through a special drawn out shot sequence. At first the vet thought it was the Leptospirosis vaccine in the DHLPP shot but he was found to be sensitive with all shots. In short all vaccines was given separately in a three and half month time period, he was prepped with steroid Prednisone and Diphenhydramine shots before every vaccine and was given Benadryl and Prednisone tablets for three days. Do a titer test every other year so you may skip a year of DHPP and to keep the Rabies vaccine apart at different times other vaccines. Another Vet told me that he's a prefectly normal healthy dog... just his cells don't like the change vaccines make. I believe yours just had a mild reaction and have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have read a lot about Tittering and I will be doing that. It was an uphill battle because the vet pressured me into doing DHPP and Bordatella at the same time. I am a first-time pup mom so I am trying to do the best I can and had no idea it was not safe to combine vaccines, the vet assured me it was fine.. clearly, I need to question the vet a little more.

I will definitely be looking for a new vet though, I had been using petco and I realized that was definitely a mistake.
Yep, many vet's don't make the cut! It is just common since that any animal's immune system has to work harder when trying to develop immunity to more than one vaccine! That can put that immune system at risk over the long run...we will not give our dogs flea and tick meds/ or on skin, within 4 wks of any injections. Since Goldens are so prone to cancer, we feel doing everything we can to avoid messing with the immune system may help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We found one of our Golden's was vaccine sensitive and went through a special drawn out shot sequence. At first the vet thought it was the Leptospirosis vaccine in the DHLPP shot but was found to be sensitive with all shots. In short all vaccines was given separately in a three and half month time period, he was prepped with steroid Prednisone and Diphenhydramine shots before every vaccine and was given Benadryl and Prednisone tablets for three days. The plan is to do a titer test next year so we may skip a year of DHPP and to keep the Rabies vaccine apart at different times other vaccines. Prefectly normal healthy dog... just his cells don't like the change vaccines make. I believe yours just had a mild reaction and have nothing to worry about.

We found one of our Golden's was vaccine sensitive and went through a special drawn out shot sequence. At first the vet thought it was the Leptospirosis vaccine in the DHLPP shot but he was found to be sensitive with all shots. In short all vaccines was given separately in a three and half month time period, he was prepped with steroid Prednisone and Diphenhydramine shots before every vaccine and was given Benadryl and Prednisone tablets for three days. Do a titer test every other year so you may skip a year of DHPP and to keep the Rabies vaccine apart at different times other vaccines. Another Vet told me that he's a prefectly normal healthy dog... just his cells don't like the change vaccines make. I believe yours just had a mild reaction and have nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out for me. I am happy to hear your pup is happy and healthy now. I am a paranoid first time mama so your words have definitely made me feel better:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, many vet's don't make the cut! It is just common since that any animal's immune system has to work harder when trying to develop immunity to more than one vaccine! That can put that immune system at risk over the long run...we will not give our dogs flea and tick meds/ or on skin, within 4 wks of any injections. Since Goldens are so prone to cancer, we feel doing everything we can to avoid messing with the immune system may help.
I totally agree!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Question...was it an uphill battle because...1. even with not combining vaccines or 2. because your vet refused or resisted not combining vaccines?

If your vet resisted, I would suggest a new vet is in order. Another consideration, you may want to check out Tittering for future vaccinations and boosters....we do this for both our dogs! Talk with your vet about it...
I will start at the end, at this time in our area, it is impossible to be accepted as a new patient at any vet, so we battle on with the old one.....;)
The resistance came in a form off...
#1but we will have to charge you for extra visit... !!!! fine with me
#2 it is so m much more CONvenient !!!! for whom?
# 3, and this one beats all.....You could always wait in the parking lot to see if there is an allergic reaction !!!!
No problem for me I am used to getting what I want :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
@3goldens2keep I should add I did ask about the Tittering, I can't say my question was received positively....
Addy is 8 month old, we have a rabies vaccine coming up and I will have to re-visit the whole thing,
the one thing I learned thru the process, you better educate yourself before the vet visit, the communication on cell phone from the parking lot leaves lot to be desired :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@3goldens2keep I should add I did ask about the Tittering, I can't say my question was received positively....
Addy is 8 month old, we have a rabies vaccine coming up and I will have to re-visit the whole thing,
the one thing I learned thru the process, you better educate yourself before the vet visit, the communication on cell phone from the parking lot leaves lot to be desired :)
I couldn't agree more! I am looking for a holistic vet near me that will help with tittering so I don't have to deal with the regular vet

·
Registered
930 Posts
It can be a challenge to find a vet that 'gets it'...but stay the course, lots of evidence that vaccinations do compromise immune systems making the dogs more venerable to cancer later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts