Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your puppy/dog has had a uti, how long did it take for the peeing to get under control?

Our 11 week old GR came down with diarrhea and a uti Tuesday night/Wednesday and we got her to the vet Thursday morning. She started antibiotics that night, and probiotics. Her diarrhea has stopped, but she is still peeing when outside multiple times during a 5-10 min period (often just little dribbles for the extra pees) and inside right after being taken out and going, and then again a few min later. There's been a little improvement, but not much.

It’s honestly getting overwhelming--we can't keep up with the cleaning at points. We’re using bio enzyme cleaners and then washing the base pad of her playpen with additional bio-enzyme laundry boost from natures miracle, but it's ALOT.

She was just finally getting the hang of potty training before this and now we can barely take her out of her playpen due to the constant peeing, and that’s leading to a whole lot of sad barking. It just sucks and feels never ending.

We go back to the vet today for a pre-scheduled vaccine visit, but is there still hope this will get better with the antibiotics?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I've never dealt with a puppy UTI but I've dealt with many in adults and the multiple pees generally only happened outside and usually subsided within about 48 hours of starting on antibiotics. Did your vet do a cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample and then culture it to confirm what bacteria is involved)? If you are not seeing improvement yet, and especially if the type of bacteria was not confirmed via cysto, then she may need a cysto and a different antibiotic.

I feel for you re the peeing in the house. My girl Moxie had spay incontinence that went on for about 6 years and before we finally got it resolved, we were lucky to go a day or two without an accident. She was constantly in a diaper and we had incontinence pads on or under pretty much every surface she laid on and still did almost daily cleaning of spots. It sucked. FWIW, if you can just get her on the right antibiotic it should resolve quickly. If there's another issue going on and this does not resolve quickly, you could run to your local pet store and pick up diapers for her to wear when she's in the house/pen and under supervision. At least that would allow you to enjoy her a bit more until the issue gets resolved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your vet do a cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample and then culture it to confirm what bacteria is involved)? If you are not seeing improvement yet, and especially if the type of bacteria was not confirmed via cysto, then she may need a cysto and a different antibiotic.
They didn't, but did get a pee sample from the floor. I am not totally sure the results--it almost seemed like they just assumed UTI based on her constant peeing? But they didn't give her antibiotics until after the floor pee occured.

I head to the vet tonight but it was supposed to be a wellness visit. Worst case they reschedule the vaccine appointment, and do this test I guess! That sucks though, since she's supposed to start puppy kindergarten this week and can't without that second round of vaccines.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
You may want to give her a good drink just before you go to the vet and try not to let her pee before you get there so that she has a full bladder (it's easier to do the cysto on a full bladder, or they might be able to do a "free catch" if she pees while she's there, although it's hard to get a cup or other collection device under a squatting puppy, and the results won't be as definitive as a cysto). The only reason I can think of why they might delay the vaccines is they should only be given to "healthy" dogs. Your vet may decide that the UTI does not qualify as "unhealthy" and can do both the urinalysis and give the shots at the same visit. Either way, I'm glad you have an appointment tonight. UTIs are no fun for the dog OR the human!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I raised a pup with dysplastic kidneys, so I have way more knowledge of UTIs than I want LOL. If the antibiotic works, the UTI will be gone in a few days. If after a few days, you're still seeing UTI-like symptoms, the bacteria could be resistant to that antibiotic. It's really common to start off on a fairly broad antibiotic, followed by a detailed urinalysis and culture if things aren't improved. So definitely get that done and in this case, pray that it is just a UTI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. She was able to get her vaccines last night, and they put her on cranberry supplements. They also did a sterile urine collection, so I should know tomorrow if there is still bacteria in there.

Hard to say if it's post-vaccine tiredness, or what, but she had no accidents last night in her crate, and today is doing a little better, so we'll see. They mentioned possible incontinence, but the fact she isn't constantly dribbling, and it's more walking around and squatting, only to pee a tiny bit makes them think/hope it's just a stubborn UTI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts