Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this under a different section, so I'm reposting here to see if I get any hits...I did a bit of research, but didn't find a lot of talk about crystals & UTI's - I found a lot about both topics, separately though....

Hi Everyone - I took Harley to the vet yesterday because in the last 2 weeks he's had a few accidents in the house which are unlike him. He's almost 9 mths old and has been housetrained for quite some time. At first I attributed the accidents to maybe eating too much snow/ice, but we figured it was best to get him checked.

Sure enough he has a urinary tract infections. The vet did send his urine sample to the lab because he has crystals in his urine. I was wondering if this has occured with others, and is it anything to be concerned about? She suggested that it's probably nothing, and only because he may have had it a bit of time, but crystals doesn't sound good to me.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I don't think you have to panic yet. A lot of dogs get stones, and many times they dissolve on their own with medication and diet. It also depends on the type of stone/crystal: struvite or calcium oxalate.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I've heard of this is neutered male cats. I know there are specials cat foods available. I had a cat in the 80's that had problems with this.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Teddi has had NUMEROUS UTI's (more common in females due to 'how' they pee) several have had crystals. Knock on wood, she seems to have moved past them her last was last summer.

My vet always suggested we bring another urinalysis in after all the antibiotics were gone to be sure it cleared up. If not they would prescribe another round of antibiotics. You do want to be sure it is "gone".

I have been told cranberry supplement and yogurt in their food can help keep the infection at bay. I tried cranberry but did not stick with it so I can not judge whether it worked or not.

Ann

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Crystals often form because of an incorrect pH in the urine. Esp. Struvite/Triple Phosphate crystals. They form in urine that is too alkaline (pH too high). Often with UTI, the pH goes sky high simply because of the infection. So crystals form. So long as the urine pH returns to normal after the infection is eliminated, the crystals will go away also.

Occasionally dogs just have high urine pHs for no good reason. Crystals form. Then the dog shows signs of a UTI (or may actually get a UTI because of all the irritation from the crystals). The difference is that the pH doesn't return to normal after treating the UTI. Often the vet will recommend a prescription diet to keep the pH more normal or will recommend adding things that tend to lower urine pH (Vitamin C, cranberry, etc.).

Moral of the story: have a follow up urinalysis after the infection is cleared up. Make sure the urine pH is back to normal and that there are no more crystals.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks everyone for the posts! I must say I do tend to get nervous right away. I'll get his results back tomorrow on the sterile urine sample (where she saw the crystals was not a sterile one, just one from when I got there with a plastic dish), but I thought in the meantime I'd try to figure out what the crystals could mean. She did mention after he's off his antibiotics we'll do another sample to make sure everything is ok, so that makes me feel good. It sounds like if there are crystals we can easily manage it with diet/water intake & extra trips outside.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to status that I got the test results back. No UTI, just crystals! I did tell the vet he hasn't had any accidents since on the antibiotic, and we are on day 4 of 8, so we are going to let that finish, then retest the urine. If there are still crystals then she's recommending the Science Diet S-D formula for 2 weeks.

We've been feeding him Artemis for large breed puppies thinking that was a pretty decent food. It's so frustrating when it could be his food that is causing the crystals. We are trying to stick to grain free with him, and we've spent hours and hours researching food. I know it's best to avoide high calcium, potassium & protein content with puppies, which is really hard to come by in grain free. So now we are back to the drawing board with what is best to feed.

I know, no easy answers, just sharing my frustration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts