Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
USA/Canada border crossing regulations?

Does anyone know what the regulations on crossing into the USA and coming back to canada are?
We are thinkign of taking Cody with us on vacation to the US this summer.

Thanx!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
A current Rabies certificate is all that is needed. Seems like Canada is stricter about looking at it than the coming back to the US! We take Ruby with us to Canada in the summer and the first time we came back, I said "I have a dog in the car, do you want to see her papers?" Border guard "Nope, I'm sure she's healthy".

More info than you asked for, but when I take my dog(s) on vacation, I do some research to see what vets are in the area, and get their phone numbers and even maps to their clinics. I also print "lost dog" posters with my dog's picture. I leave spots blank for writing in where she was last seen, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A current Rabies certificate is all that is needed. Seems like Canada is stricter about looking at it than the coming back to the US! We take Ruby with us to Canada in the summer and the first time we came back, I said "I have a dog in the car, do you want to see her papers?" Border guard "Nope, I'm sure she's healthy".

More info than you asked for, but when I take my dog(s) on vacation, I do some research to see what vets are in the area, and get their phone numbers and even maps to their clinics. I also print "lost dog" posters with my dog's picture. I leave spots blank for writing in where she was last seen, etc.
Thank you for that added information! I would never have taken the time to do any of that.

Does anyone know how current the rabies vax has to be? I thought I heard it was every 3 years?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Does anyone know how current the rabies vax has to be? I thought I heard it was every 3 years?

It actually depends where you live and what your local regulations are. If where you live the law is every 3 years for rabies vaccinations AND your Vaccination Certificate expiration date has not yet expired at the time of your crossing the border (BOTH directions) then you are good to go. Just make sure you have it with you.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i traveled from mi to n.y last year through canada, all i needed was a health certificate from the vet which had all her current vetting. the only problem i had was crossing back into mi. the border guard decided to give me some hassle because i had the dogs food measured out in baggies. the food apparently needs to be in the original bag. it was just easier for me because they eat different foods. have fun on vacation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts