Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Max has ingested one Simvastatin, one Hydroxyzine Pamoate (anti-anxiety) and one Perphenazine (sedative). I've been in touch with the vet who told me to induce vomiting by giving him 1/4 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide every 10 minutes until he vomits.

The problem is that he's fighting me like his life depends on it and I'm torn up with scratches trying to get the peroxide down his throat. Can anyone tell me HOW to get the peroxide into him? I've only got a few more minutes before I need to call the poison hotline....

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you!
- Trids

·
Registered
640 Posts
Is anyone around to help...how about someone living near by...I think it would be easier with two people.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is anyone around to help...how about someone living near by...I think it would be easier with two people.
Got two people - he's fighting tooth & nail, like we're trying to kill him. I know I'm traumatizing him, but I'm running out of time. Shooooooot! I'll be back with info asap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I would try the eye dropper. It doesn't take much.....keep trying. Lucky ate a cotton ball saturated with peroxide and threw up. Gosh I hope you are successful soon.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have a friend who had to do this with her Lab. She said she strattled his body with her left hand on the collar to hold onto him You can either stand over him and do this, or have him sit if he will do it. Grip his belly with your knees and from the side, you can use a turkey baster as Rob suggested to put it in the back of the mouth. Try to keep his head back, so he will swallow it without fighting it too much. Please update us when you can!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Do you have someone to help you??? This job would be so much easier with 4 hands instead of 2!! Trap him in the bathroom so he can't run (and also then you can throw him in the tub for when he pukes for less clean-up. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I used to just pour the bottle into their mouths, some would get in and some would get all over the floor.

You may need to get charcoal from the drug store. Keep us up to date.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so very much! :thanks:

Boy, this has been one long, frightening hour....it took the syringe, the turkey baster, two people, a bathroom, a couch, several doses and several major struggles, but Max has finally puked up the pills. Turns out there was even an extra one I didn't realize he'd grabbed. DH is in dog-house big time!

Never thought I'd be so ecstatic to be scrubbing dog puke out of the carpet. Max is a major escape artist, so he made quite a mess (not complaining). He seems to be okay now, but I'm keeping a close eye on him.

Thank you all for your suggestions, the eyedropper itself just wasn't doing the job & without your help, I think we'd have been at the emergency pet hospital tonight getting his stomach pumped or IV emetics. Whew! Thank you, thank you!

- Trids

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
wow close call. thank god all is well now.

how is he now? i bet he was wondering what all the fuss was about.
give a few extra hugs to tell him you werent really trying to hurt him.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Glad it turned out okay for you and Max ...well done.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I'm a little late, but for dogs who have never had to ingest peroxide before they will sometimes lap it up if you smear the bottom of a bowl with peanut butter then add the peroxide. Tucker doesn't fall for this trick anymore, so I use a syringe. You can even smear the outside of the syringe with peanut butter!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OMG... this thread made me so nervous to read... knowing I was SO late. Hopefully, you'll never have to deal with this again, but for others, we've had to do this with our son's dog and he gets her to lap up the peroxide by mixing it with some canned beef broth. It's like a yummy treat for her..... until the retching starts. SO glad all worked up well... And, yes, keep those darned meds up in a cabinet.

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
So glad everything worked out!

Mine actually just lap it up out of a bowl (Shadow once ate my birth control pills).

:(

I panicked over how I was going to get him to take it, and then I decided to try the simplest solution first... Lucky for me, it worked, but I"m sure most dogs are smarter than that!
:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts