Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Max, I was sad to read about your loss. Barkley was truly the perfect dog and clearly a gift in your life. Hopefully there's another little puppy in heaven waiting to be born in the future who will find his way to you and your heart.

·
Registered
544 Posts
How vivid you wrote about your first encounter with Barkley. It must have been one of the best & fortunate decision you gave in your life so that you have never forgotten about any detail . The next Barkley will be very fortunate aswell. I would not restrict my search to only a red short haired Golden Retriever as you did not know that you would end up with Barkley instead of a lab. The right dog will find you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
... I would not restrict my search to only a red short haired Golden Retriever as you did not know that you would end up with Barkley instead of a lab. The right dog will find you
A good friend said this very thing to me just today.

I have looked online at dogs that are available in shelters in my area. It's sort of depressing to see all these dogs that are the result of people's irresponsibility. Beagles crossed with Malamute's, Great Danes crossed with Pitbull's. It is a tragedy on an immense scale. Yet there are points of light. Many people, some of my friends among them, foster as many as three or four dogs at a time as part of a process to find loving homes for as many dogs as possible. Maybe I can do my part by taking on one of these shelter dogs. At this point, all options are on the table.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A good friend said this very thing to me just today.
I have looked online at dogs that are available in shelters in my area. It's sort of depressing to see all these dogs that are the result of people's irresponsibility. Beagles crossed with Malamute's, Great Danes crossed with Pitbull's. It is a tragedy on an immense scale. Yet there are points of light. Many people, some of my friends among them, foster as many as three or four dogs at a time as part of a process to find loving homes for as many dogs as possible. Maybe I can do my part by taking on one of these shelter dogs. At this point, all options are on the table.
That would be loveliest thing thing you can do for Barkley. He will guide you to the dog that your soul needs.It may be tomorrow ,it may be next year. It will happen when you are ready both to receive & give. You will by that time maybe already foster a couple of dogs but when it is him or her you will both know0:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I was just trying to read through this thread after seven months since Barkley's passing and I had to stop after a few posts. It's too hard to relive those days. I still think of him when I pass places we used to frequent. I say his name in just the way I used to when we were out on our adventures and it makes me feel like I will turn my head and see him again.

This is a shot from November 2018. Barkley was just recovering from a serious go-around with Lyme disease, an episode from which I thought he might not recover. He became so weak that he lay on his bed and slept for 24 hours. Towards the end of that period I slept on the floor with him, thinking that any minute he was going to be drawing his last breath. Here he is on the mend. Although he was impervious to cold temperatures though most of his life, he was so fragile during his battle with the tick borne disease that he welcomed the blankets. In a few weeks though he was as good as new. He would be with me for another six months.

If stories like this are good for the Rainbow Bridge section, I would like to try to write a few more.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts