Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I have a 60 day old pup. It was separated by his mother for reasons unknown. I just got it as a rescue.

This pup does not eat and has not gained weight at all. He is 3.3 pounds from 2 weeks and hasn't gained weight. We tried feeding him a variety of puppy food, rice, puppy dry food, etc. He does not eat at all. I just force feed him.

I have another adult golden, when the pup saw the big dog eating boiled chicken with chicken stock and veggies, he rushed forward and ate some. He seems to eat only boiled chicken with stock and diluted milk. He has been dewormed.

I have not fed him with chicken at all. It was just to see what he likes.

He has loose stools, its all watery.. He has started to eat his poop too..

He was due for vaccination and the doc said we will have to wait for a day or 2 to see if he gains weight and gets some strength.

He sleeps most of the day and is not very active.

We have visited the vets many times..

I am crying while typing this mail, any help on this would be very helpful

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Really, I think your vet should have given some suggestions on how to help your pup. Perhaps, since he seems to like it, you could give him the chicken and stock mix he seemed to enjoy, then transition him to the food you'd prefer to give him in a few weeks, when he is stronger. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
If he's 8 weeks + and is so tiny- oh my... very small. He needs to eat whatever he will eat.
I wouldn't use a commercial broth- too much salt- but absolutely yes boil chicken and then toss some rice in the leftover boiling water.
At least 3 times a day. i'm sure he will need deworming. I'm surprised your vet isn't more hands on with helping you keep this pup alive.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I would also feed whatever this puppy will eat - there is no issue with quality people food - my dogs eat primarily raw food their whole lives.

That said, to introduce more protein types and calories you can also try boiled hamburger again adding calories by cooking rice in the water used for the hamburger. Puree (probably cooked to help digestion) small amounts of dog safe veggies (lettuce, cucumbers and the like) and perhaps a cooked egg, yogurt (no artificial flavoring) etc.

Your puppy, as you know, needs to eat and may simply not know how -- weaning usually begins around 3 weeks and mama milk is supplemented with well-soaked & smashed kibble (to the consistency of a thin gruel). Your pup may well have missed this introduction to eating solids - so this might be another option for you -- making gruel.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rathi

Hi ,

I have a 60 day old pup. It was separated by his mother for reasons unknown. I just got it as a rescue.

This pup does not eat and has not gained weight at all. He is 3.3 pounds from 2 weeks and hasn't gained weight. We tried feeding him a variety of puppy food, rice, puppy dry food, etc. He does not eat at all. I just force feed him.

I have another adult golden, when the pup saw the big dog eating boiled chicken with chicken stock and veggies, he rushed forward and ate some. He seems to eat only boiled chicken with stock and diluted milk. He has been dewormed.

I have not fed him with chicken at all. It was just to see what he likes.

He has loose stools, its all watery.. He has started to eat his poop too..

He was due for vaccination and the doc said we will have to wait for a day or 2 to see if he gains weight and gets some strength.

He sleeps most of the day and is not very active.

We have visited the vets many times..

I am crying while typing this mail, any help on this would be very helpful
Did the vet test your dogs poop to make sure he doesn't have parvo? If not, I would call them and tell them you are bringing in a sample to be tested. In the meantime, I would let him eat the chicken or whatever he will eat. Parvo is life threatening, so be sure to take him in or at least call right away.

·
Jean G
115 Posts
I would have the vet make sure he does not have parvo etc. I had this problem with my pup about 10 years ago. We got him to young from breeder. They insisted we take him, they were going on vacation. Anyway, I had to feed him scramble eggs made with butter. I should have gotten some mothers milk from vet and mixed into his food.
It was so hard.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If the vet approves, you could try a home made bone broth. To increase nutrients and hydration.

Ask your vet about persistent right aortic arch. I am not saying the puppy has this. I just know a Golden puppy who failed to grow due to this and had surgery to correct. I had not heard of it before and they were puzzled for awhile until the right diagnosis.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recovered !!

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response. My pup is doing okay now. The vet helped me out real good. It was a gastrointestinal infection. With a few antibiotics he is a healthy pup now :)

Thanks for all the suggestions :)!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rathi

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response. My pup is doing okay now. The vet helped me out real good. It was a gastrointestinal infection. With a few antibiotics he is a healthy pup now :)

Thanks for all the suggestions :)!!
Rathi: So glad you took your puppy to the vet and he is feeling better. Always take him to the vet, better to be safe than sorry. Puppies are very fragile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recovering ..

Hey All,

Sure will post his picture. I just need to figure out how to do it on this website

I did take him to the vet many a times, its just that since he is so small , the vet did not want to pump him with antibiotics , but since it came to a necessity, the vet did give the antibiotics in the end

I have one question though, since he did grow well for 2 - 3 weeks, would he have any development issues in future? I just want to be prepared and help him all I can

Thanks
Rathi

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Hi Rathi. Like human babies who have a rough start, most catch up. Of course, nobody can guarantee that, but your boy should be fine. By the way, did your vet recommend any probiotics or even yoghurt after the antibiotics? It tends to restore the gut, especially after he has had a gastro infection as well.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rathi

Please keep us posted on how he is!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recovered and super active !!!

Hi, yes he has been advised to take yoghurt. And he is loving it too...

Relieved to know he will be fine.. He is even grown tall a little bit :)

I will post the pictures soon

Thank you all so much !!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rathi

Glad you pup loves yogurt. You are giving him PLAIN YOGURT, right?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rathi

Rathi

How is he doing??

To post a picture here, type a post in box, arrow down to Manage Attachments, click on Manage Attachments, then click on browse, go find the pic you want (mine are saved to my Desktop), choose pic and click on upload and then click on submit reply. Picture should appear in the post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts