Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi
i have 13 years old Golden Retriever.
She had one tumor and last week she had successful Surgery.
But now the surgery place start to be open from 2 days
what can i do. Is their any one have experience with it?
Doctor said if it is not close they must cull(kill) her and i am very sad about it.

She has no infection and she is active and eating and sleeping very good although she is 13.
Please give me some tips and some helps
Thanks​

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
If the surgical incision site is starting to open, it needs to be surgically closed again by a vet under anesthesia. She does not have an infection, yet, which is very good. So, I really do not understand the problem and why the vet is talking about euthanizing her instead of suturing the incision site shut. Maybe you need to look for a different vet, I would!
Other than that you said, she is doing well and eating. So, no way is she at the point of euthanasia. Go to another vet, that is my advise.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree that you need to find another vet. It is not uncommon for an incision to open up again but it is no reason to euthinize a dog. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes, find another vet.

Are you in the US? If we know your location perhaps we can find another one for you or an emergency facility since it is a weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm so sorry about the surgical challenge that brings you to us.

Here's a link to a company that sells a garment that protects surgical sites on the dog's body: WoundWear, Inc. - Dog Cruciate Brace and Body Suits for Protection & Rehabilitation. I don't know if this would be useful, but perhaps you can look at the pages and tell if this would help your girl.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Holding you and your sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
You are welcome, bitteschoen!
I am originally German, from the area close to Bad Kreuznach,Mainz, etc.
I will keep this in English though.
The opening of the wound is considered an emergency. I have not been to Germany in a long time and I do not know if there are emergency clinics over there now. Considering it being evening time over there, you will be hard pressed to find a regular vet open at this time. But, you never know, grab that phone book and start looking or call the Auskunft. I am just afraid, that the wound will open more and it will get infected. If you cannot find a vet over the weekend, make sure you keep the wound clean and wrapped to prevent further opening and contamination. Try to get into a vet clinic first thing Monday morning if you cannot go before then.
Good luck to your old girl and please keep us posted.
Thank you, Dankeschoen!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Emergency Vet Clinics in Stuttgart

Here are lists of emergency veterinary clinics near Stuttgart, at least according to Google:

https://sites.google.com/site/acsresourcedatabase/home/pets/veterinarians/emergency-vet-clinic

Stuttgart Animal Clinic Dvm in Stuttgart, AR is a veterinarian or animal hospital

https://sites.google.com/site/acsresourcedatabase/home/pets/veterinarians/emergency-vet-clinic

Since I don't speak or read German, I can't really assess their capabilities.

I so hope that your able to get your girl the medical care that she needs this weekend.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Second link is for a vet clinic in Stuttgart, AR, wrong country :). First link is good, has a bunch of clinics listed in Stuttgart, Gemany with 24/7 emergency hours. Third link is the same as the first link, Stuttgart, Germany.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are lists of emergency veterinary clinics near Stuttgart, at least according to Google:

Stuttgart Animal Clinic Dvm in Stuttgart, AR is a veterinarian or animal hospital

Since I don't speak or read German, I can't really assess their capabilities.

I so hope that your able to get your girl the medical care that she needs this weekend.
Thank you very much for your links
i find one Vet near to our home.
I will give you more information.
We will Clean and also pray for our Girl.
You are very helpful and we are happy to find this wonderful forum with wonderful People.:wave:

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Second link is for a vet clinic in Stuttgart, AR, wrong country :). First link is good, has a bunch of clinics listed in Stuttgart, Gemany with 24/7 emergency hours. Third link is the same as the first link, Stuttgart, Germany.
Thanks!
Thanks! I should read more carefully. Even I should recognize the AR. :D

I can't get the third link to show up correctly. All it really has is a phone number - Veterinary emergency service: 0711 / 7657477.

Fingers crossed that something works out. :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum, even though you are dealing with a situation right now.

I spent some time as a summer exchange student in Germany many years ago--Kassel. I enjoyed the country, enjoyed the people and especially enjoyed the food--a little too much because I gained 10 lbs!

I hope you get some help.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I hope you get your lovely girl repaired soon, I cannot understand why the vet said that to you, there is no need to pit her to sleep, she could live a long time yet. My girl had a tumour removed and lived to be fourteen and a half years old. She was beautiful too and had a very good life after her operation. Sending you many good wishes from a fellow European!

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum - and thank you for making the effort to help your girl, and not simply let your vet convince you to give up.

If you keep the wound clean as you are doing, it should be fine until tomorrow when you get can it re-stitched. Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it goes..

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Beautiful girl, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Kyra is beautiful! I hope all goes well with the new vet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts