Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Upset tummy and a frustrated mommy

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Skiptomaloo 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am to a breaking point with Rupert's diarrhea. He's been on Eukanuba LBP since he was at the breeder's and his stools were very frequent, large, and became increasingly loose... until about three weeks ago when he started having serious bouts of diarrhea. Every fecal has come back negative and he's been dewormed as a precautionary measure.

The last trip to the vet he was given some probiotics and some Iams low residue vet formula food. This combo worked until the food ran out (about a week, sadly) and then I attempted to re-introduce the Eukanuba with the prescription stuff. It was pretty much instant blow-out diarrhea. The vet gave us an Iams sample (I know it is similar to Euk) when he was younger and that was a no-go. Even ID has given him the poops.

He has currently been on a chicken and rice diet and the poops have been pretty well formed but a little soft (not alarmingly so though). They've also been smaller and only about once a day. Attempted just a little bit of kibble last night and today and BAM... diarrhea back. So I'm hoping it's just a food thing at this point. I gave him some pumpkin and an immodium tonight.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions for a very sensitive stomach. The chicken and rice thing can only last so long on my budget. I just want my little guy to feel better. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like there is something in Euk that is not working for your pup. It is not uncommon to have to try several before you find the food that works best for your pup. There is no magic food that works for all goldens. I've tried several "good" foods for my boys but they had loose stool issues even when I would add a tablespoon of pumpkin to the food so I finally started using Purina Pro Plan and they are doing great on it.

#3 ·
Yeah I was thinking about trying Pro Plan at a friend's suggestion... I think I have like three bags of different foods laying around my apartment now from failed attempts. *sigh*

#4 ·
What is the protein source for the EukLBP...is it chicken? If so, wonder if he would do better wtih boiled hamburger & rice...just a thought...

#5 ·
Here is the ingredient list of ELBP

Ingredients
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish meal, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], DL-Methionine, Dried Chicken Cartilage (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Marigold, Rosemary Extract.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein not less than 26.0%, Crude Fat not less than 14.0%, Crude Fiber not more than 5.0%, Moisture not more than 10.0%, Calcium not less than 0.80%, Phosphorous not less than 0.67%, Vitamin E not less than 140 IU/kg, Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 2.40%*, Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.30%*, Glucosamine not less than 375 mg/kg*, Chondroitin Sulfate not less than 35 mg/kg*, Docosahexaenoic Acid not less than 0.10%*. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles. Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for growth.

#6 ·
Has he been checked for coccidia and giardia? These require different testing than that done for worms. Coccidia especially is very common in puppies.

Have you tried Tylan or Flagyl?

At this point, his intestines are probably very irritated, so I would think at least 5 days on the chicken and rice to give them a rest, or back to the Iams low residue, until he has several days of good poops. Once he has had several days of good poop, you could start substituting very small amounts of your chosen kibble with each meal-maybe literally just a few pieces at a time and, if there is no change in the stools, add more. And I am sure you are aware-no treats, as those could be causing issues as well.

#8 ·
That's another frustration of mine... I think it is time for a vet change. I've been practically begging for the metronidazole from the vet because giardia was my first suspect in the very beginning, but she (and the staff) seem to brush off the concerns because he's not been running around in streams *rolls eyes*. I'm trying not to step on toes, and I wanted to give them a chance... but when I spend $120 ever other week to get zero results my frustration is about at tops.

#9 ·
This is exactly what happened with our Scout. She came from the breeder eating Euk large breed puppy food. She was great for the first come of months and then all of a sudden around month 4 she started to have loose stools ALL the time. We were at the vet numerous times within one month on less trying everything...finally the vet recommended trying a food that is easier on the stomach. We tried Euk lamb and rice large breed dog food and it has been amazing. She has not had loose stools since then. I would highly recommend the Euk lamb and rice, it was an amazing change! Let me know how it works out for you...

#14 ·
Well the giardia came about because of the somewhat cyclic nature of the diarrhea and there had been some mucus issues at times as well. And just when you think it is over... it comes back *smacks forehead*. I guess the plus is that through it all he's never shown dehydration or lethargy at all. Still eating and drinking... just the poop.

#18 ·
We had the same problem with Flora. It was so bad that she would frequently have the most liquidy, nastiest smelling poops in the house. Oh god, cleaning that up was just awful.

After MONTHS of liquid and soft stools and negative fecal tests, I finally took her into the vet, and my vet recommended taking her off a chicken based formula and trying lamb or salmon. She also said to put her on adult food.

Well, loose stools are history! I have her on a salmon formula, and it's just fabulous. Try switching your dog over to a non-chicken food, see how that works.

Good luck.

#21 ·
Same thing with Riley. After one feeding of Acana her poops were solid again and have been that way since she started on it a week ago. I was concerned about the richness of the food but she is tolerating it well.
Since the poops were already bad we switched cold turkey. I am never trying another food again!

#22 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I picked up more low residue from the vet today. Couldn't get a fecal sample to take in though. They wanted the fecal to see if maybe there is a bacterial infection (the new theory?).

I didn't want to do this, but I have a vet that lives in the building next to me and we've talked off and on and he seems super nice and caring. I know he had mentioned the metro one night, but I forgot to remind him about it. So perhaps after the holiday I will see if I can take him in to that vet. I just didn't want things to get awkward, but he seems willing to help.

#23 ·
Hi All,
I just thought I'd send out a happy update! As of today Rupert has been diarrhea free since Thanksgiving!

I switched him (slowly) over to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and so far he's doing really well. Now I'm crossing my fingers for the future!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. They were greatly appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.