Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--it's been a long time since I've posted. Sherman's been great and trouble-free. Until now. Last night he got into some hot wings my daughter left out(unbeknownst to her father and me). He couldn't have had more than 4...but he had tremendous diarrhea in his crate this afternoon (a first) and more diarrhea on the rug (again, a first--he seemed to not even know he did it) plus a bit of vomiting (the vomit has been mucus & water). I have no idea how much of the wings he ate, if he chewed them or what. Just that there were four chicken wings, then there weren't and the kids didn't do it.

I called the ER vet and they said to watch carefully and bring him in if he vomits or poops blood; otherwise to follow up first thing in the am w/my regular vet. HOWEVER--he's lethargic and I'm not sure I want to wait another 12 hrs for vet care. The vomiting makes me nervous.

He had his usual dog food for brekkie this morning, but no food since. I showered him when I got home and discovered the poo in his crate, he vomited for the first time in the crate and twice since (very small amts). 1 more small episode of diarrhea (that would be the stuff on the rug).

My gut says to x-ray, my husband thinks I'm overreacting. Thoughts? TIA.

Tummy is soft.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
My gut would tell me to call the ER vet back and maybe take him in. Good luck...update when you can.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If he's been vomiting and had diarrhea, he may be dehydrated. That could be what's making him lethargic. I'd also probably take him to the vets. If it's nothing more serious, he may just need fluids.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I'd be worrying too, but I don't know what else to offer. I usually go by the thought of would I rather be too cautious or end up with a very serious problem.
How old is Sherman?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's 2 1/2. I gave him an ice cube not long ago and he kept it down. Will try another now. Then will probably head to the ER. I'd rather overreact than underreact...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
A blockage is extremely doubtful. Many dogs with gastroenteritis will be lethargic. I would have given the same advise as the ER doc, watch and wait until morning. It's pretty unlikely that unless he's been vomiting lots that he would be dehydrated at this point. If you wait, no food or water until morning. It's entirely possible that he may be better by morning. If so, start with small amounts of water then progress to small amounts of food. If he's not better, off to the vet.

But, you need to do what you feel comfortable with. And if that's taking him in for an exam and x-ray tonight, do that. Being cautious in this regard will in no way harm your dog, so if it feels right, do it.

Reactions: mairaphoto

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I feel for you...I so hate that stressy feeling of "What do I do now!"
Keep us posted...

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
Heres a gross question..............did any bones come out in the poop?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Iowa--do you think it is just gastroenteritis from the wings? He's NEVER been sick to his stomach before (unlike my beagle before him who had ulcerative colitis and was sick at the drop of a hat)--so it's been a few years since I've dealt w/this.

DH thinks I'm overreacting. Of course, he didn't see the puddles of poo...

There's been no blood in the vomit or poo. He's kept down 2 1/2 ice cubes--although he belches tremendously after he eats them. He's not himself, but he's not panting or pacing like he's in pain. Gums are nice and pink. When I went to scratch his ears (his fav), I was rewarded w/a tail wag and kiss on the nose. Gave him three more ice cubes--will see how he does with those.

He does seem to be leaking a bit of mucous out his backside--and it is dreadfully smelly. I'm leaning towards sleeping downstairs w/him and calling my vet first thing in the morning--esp. if he keeps down the ice I just gave him.

He's such a good boy and like I said, this is our first real illness w/him, so I am very much at a should I or shouldn't I stage.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I def would sleep with him tonight so you know if there is a change.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Were the wings spicy? Because that can also cause the upset stomach too with diarrhea. I think I would wait till in the morning and then see your regular vet to have an xray done if he isnt feeling better. I agree with IowaGold. Good luck and hope he will be ok.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that I could tell--and I did check as I was cleaning up. It was 95% liquid w/a bit of tiny stool, which didn't seem to be bone (was soft like a normal bm--just very small).

He's kept down several ice cubes at this point and is actually trying to get dinner out of us at the moment. That's a good sign, right?

He's not getting any, of course, but I'm encouraged that he wants to eat...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I too agree....if the wings were spicy, it could easily cause upset and diarrhea. I would continue to watch him closely tonight, and see how he is acting in the morning. Also, I would take water and everything away from him until morning, and see how he is feeling then. That is what my Vet told me to do, when I found out she had swallowed a pair of stretchy men's underwear. We were gone overnight, and my Son was watching all three of my Golden's. She found them on the floor in the bathroom when he took a shower. When we returned home the next day, she wanted nothing to do with either water or food, and was extremely lethargic.That afternoon, we took her in, as she had then started having blood in her stools.
Hopefully, your sweet boy will feel better in the morning...and it will just be an upset stomach.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just saw the reply you typed while I was writing mine. Definitely a good sign if he wants food. Lexi would turn her face away so fast, if you even brought food or water near her! :crossfing So hope he is starting to feel better!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sorry-went to bed after my post last night. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's gastroenteritis. We hear lots of horror stories about blockages, and they do occur, but are not all that common.

Reading some of the rest of the posts after mine-it's definitely a good sign that he was interested in dinner-most *really* sick dogs will actively try to get away from food.

Not directed at anyone, just some advice when your dog has gastroenteritis:

If your dog is vomiting, take up all food and water for several hours. The stomach needs to rest and while it makes *us* feel better to see the dog eat or drink, it's not in the dog's best interest at this time. Goldens are big enough dogs that they do not dehydrate quickly, so unless your dog is vomiting copious amounts (and then you should be seeking veterinary care anyway), removing water for several hours will actually decrease the likelihood of dehydration because if the stomach is irritated, the addition of water is likely to cause vomiting (and more fluid will be lost than the dog gains). After several hours of no vomiting, slowly introduce water back (1/2 cup or so at a time every 30 minutes or so, slowly increasing the amount as long as there is no vomiting). Once water is pretty much back to normal (over several hours), slowly introduce bland food-rice and chicken/hamburger, etc. Go to the vet ASAP if: there is blood in the vomit, the vomit looks like coffee grounds (indicates digested blood), the vomiting lasts for more than a few hours, the dog is unsuccessfully trying to vomit and his abdomen is tense or hard or bigger than normal, or if the dog is unresponsive.

If your dog has diarrhea (and any vomiting is done with), pull all food for at least 12 and preferably 24 hours. Water is totally fine for the dog to have. This will rest the intestines and help them to heal. After 24 hours, feed small, more frequent meals of a bland diet for a few days until stools are normally firm, then wean the dog to larger meals and mix in his regular food. It is totally OK to add in some (a tablespoon or two) canned pumpkin to the bland diet to help firm the stools up more quickly. Veterinary intervention is needed if the diarrhea lasts more than 48 hours, the diarrhea is black and tarry (indicates bleeding), the dog is lethargic more than a few hours, or if there are large amounts of blood in the diarrhea. Small amounts of blood are not at all unusual when a dog has diarrhea-it's simply from the irritation of so much coming out so quickly.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Thank you Sarah. Good info to have! I am a major worry wart!

mygarnetboy, Praying your pup is better this morning! Hope to hear good news soon!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
Hoping your boy is doing better this morning....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sarah--thank you. We've been giving him ice cubes as opposed to water and he's kept it all down, plus six tablespoons of canned pumpkin (gave 3 T, twice). Am slowly increasing ice cubes and will give a bit of rice w/pumpkin tonight.

When I talked to the vet this morning, he said that all evidence pointed to gastroenteritis from the hot sauce and not a blockage or perforation. He told me to continue to do what we're doing, plus give a bit of pepto and bring him in if he takes a turn for the worse or passes blood. He seems to be back to his old self and my new Scentsy warmer arrived via UPS today, so hopefully that will kick any lingering odors from yesterday. I've cleaned and bleached and bleached and cleaned, but am rather paranoid...

THANK YOU AGAIN for all the input and good thoughts. I don't post regularly, but am so grateful to have you all to come to when I've got questions like I did last night!

Am attaching a pic of him w/his big sis, so you all can see our sweet boy!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
What a good looking boy! Glad he seems to be on the mend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts