Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very sorry to raise another one of these threads, but unless I missed it in the search (admittedly possible), the existing threads are out of date. Most of the recommended breeders have websites straight out of 2003, so it's impossible to tell if they're active.

We're on the lookout for a golden puppy (not cream) to get picked up around the summer of 2023 and would appreciate any up-to-date recommendations for responsible breeders within reasonable driving distance of the Bay Area.

So far, we've reached out to:

Osprey Goldens Contact Us
Aubridge Goldens Contact Us | Aubridge Goldens
Birnam Woods Goldens | Birnam Wood - Golden Retrievers |
Merlot Goldens Contact Us
Masters Goldens Masters Golden Retrievers

Our understanding is that all of those are reputable, so we would appreciate if anyone thinks otherwise. I'll also update this thread if I hear back from any of them.

We've also reached out to the NorCal GRC for a referral.

We're also considering:

Cal Creek Goldens Puppies
Autumnwind Goldens Home - Autumnwind Golden Retriever

Any thoughts on those?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
799 Posts
The vast majority of breeders on those older lists will still be active. I'd recommend continuing to reach out to breeders on those lists if you like them. Also, a lot of breeders keep their FB active with dog stuff, so that would be a good indication that they're still breeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vast majority of breeders on those older lists will still be active. I'd recommend continuing to reach out to breeders on those lists if you like them. Also, a lot of breeders keep their FB active with dog stuff, so that would be a good indication that they're still breeding.
Good to know, I never considered checking FB! Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't find this list you mentioned. Where is it? I'm looking for a reputable breeder. I'm looking for cream colored and the only one I kind of liked was classic heritage but I'm getting weird vibes from them.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I can't find this list you mentioned. Where is it? I'm looking for a reputable breeder. I'm looking for cream colored and the only one I kind of liked was classic heritage but I'm getting weird vibes from them.
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone can located and post that list for you. I know we have a bunch of threads on CA breeders. I encourage you to make good use of the search function for the Forum and read whatever existing threads come up.

One thing I wanted to mention is, if you prefer the lighter colored coats, you should be wary of (or totally avoid) breeders who advertise based on color (e.g., "British Creams", "English Creme," "White," etc.,) since reputable breeders focus on producing healthy dogs that adhere to the standard for the breed... color is WAY down on the list of priorities. Most breeders who advertise "British Creams" or other similar terms do not follow the GRCA Code of Ethics and do not do even the basic health clearances on their dogs. That's not to say you can't find a reputable breeder who is breeding lighter colored dogs. But having color as a criteria will make your search for a puppy from a reputable breeder much harder.

You may find these threads and articles interesting:

Reactions: Oceanside

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Just took a quick look through their site and that would be a hard no for me..
Me too.... I took a quick look this morning at a couple of their male dogs. One's a Tramin dog....no thanks. I looked at Oliver and he only has DNA testing...no health clearances on K9 data and OFA doesn't recognize his registered name. They're looking for guardian homes and all "championships" in their pedigrees are international and not current generation dogs. They seem to focus on color as well. I'd have to pass.....

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
5,072 Posts
Very sorry to raise another one of these threads, but unless I missed it in the search (admittedly possible), the existing threads are out of date. Most of the recommended breeders have websites straight out of 2003, so it's impossible to tell if they're active.
The reason these lists are so old is because they are disfavored by the PTB here. I started the SoCal breeders and Ethical "English Creme" Breeders lists, but won't do it again. I put website links to each breeder in the list, but the mods removed the links saying they might violate the rules here. They also wouldn't allow me to include myself in any list of ethical breeders, which irked me and seemed unfair in that it implies I'm not an ethical breeder. Plus, at the time, the site wouldn't allow the lists to be edited to be kept up to date, and thus immediately began to slide into inaccuracy. So, I decided not to update or expand them. My original thought was to create lists for each area of the country and to update them each year, but I have been discouraged from doing so.

Unfortunately, these lists are unlikely to be updated anytime soon. You're on your own. This forum doesn't like breeder lists that are actually, you know, helpful, current, and complete. That's against the rules here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There are a lot of old posts that aren't super helpful. For cream, at some point I ran across Nicholberry Goldens and Jaregui Goldens. This is not an endorsement- I have no clue if they're quality or not, maybe someone else can weigh in.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
There are a lot of old posts that aren't super helpful. For cream, at some point I ran across Nicholberry Goldens and Jaregui Goldens. This is not an endorsement- I have no clue if they're quality or not, maybe someone else can weigh in.
Nicholberry has been discussed here before (and not in a positive way). The only registered name I saw on their website was for their main stud "Rufus" and nothing came up for him in the OFA database. If you can get registered names of their current bitches we can double check them, but based on the history of this breeder, I don't expect to see them adhering to Code of Ethics clearances.

Jaregui Goldens looks to be another "cream" breeder who is just importing breeding stock from Ukraine and breeding for color and for money. I was able to find a few dogs in K9Data and tracked the mom into the OFA database. She had a hip clearance and I think an eye clearance, but no elbow or heart. However, that dog was born in 2012 (I think) so obviously (I hope!) not still breeding, so again, you'd have to get the AKC registered names/numbers to determine whether COE clearances were being done for their current breeding dogs. I also found a AKC Marketplace listing and by their own reporting the breeder isn't "active" in anything other than breeding dogs.

I'd keep looking...

Reactions: JerseyChris

·
Registered
159 Posts
We live in the area. Even though the site is still up Merlot is closed. She had wonderful dogs but Tammy tragically has passed away. Birnham Woods is very reputable but if I recall they specialize in field bred Goldens so might not be what your looking for. Masters breeds beautiful dogs our girls have a new friend named Ricky whose about 16 weeks and he’s a hoot, he’s their half brother as they share Sires. Psyche Clark at Starchaser is also well regarded. Our girls are from Teko’s in Fernley NV. Shannon does not have a website but if you’d like I can pm you her phone number.
I’ve only heard good things about Osprey, not familiar with the other you mentioned.

·
Jennifer
174 Posts
That's so sad about Tammy Hannan. I knew her many years ago when she was just starting out in goldens.

Birnam Wood breeds conformation type goldens. You might be thinking of Emberain in Petaluma. They do breed field goldens.

You might want to add Casadeloro (Jeanetta Gulden) in Sacramento to the list. Jeanetta doesn't have a website, but you can google to get her contact info. Also, Argus (Laura Finco) in Dublin Argus Golden Retrievers Both breeders have been active in the breed for many years and are reputable.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
Jen, if you have time, you could create a new So/NoCal list for this forum, and because you are no longer in CA it wouldn't be problematic to not list yourself as it was w Dana.
Plus you do know all the good breeders in CA so your opinion could be valuable.

Reactions: ArkansasGold

·
Lead Super Mod + Administrator
2,869 Posts
For the record, there are at least THREE aspiring ethical breeders on the Mod Team. Another FOUR are involved in the fancy. The remaining two support ethical breeding practices and have bought dogs from ethical breeders.

The mod bashing that has occurred on this thread is NOT ok.

·
2,734 Posts
For the record, there are at least THREE aspiring ethical breeders on the Mod Team. Another FOUR are involved in the fancy. The remaining two support ethical breeding practices and have bought dogs from ethical breeders.

The mod bashing that has occurred on this thread is NOT ok.
The site where I moderate now doesn’t allow mod bashing. But, that’s stipulated in the rules, so we can ban them for it.

·
Jennifer
174 Posts
Hopefully, I'm not breaking any rules doing this. The only url's are for GRClubs.
To the best of my knowledge all the breeders below follow the GRCA COE. If someone should be taken off or added just let me know.

Reputable Golden Retriever Breeders in California
Compiled 9/23/22
c – conformation and p – performance
I left goldens off the kennel name and CA off the location to save space.

Northern California
Norcal GRC

Ambermist – Linda Lang – Watsonville (c, p)
Argus – Laura and April Finco – Dublin (c, p)
Aubridge – Robin Baker – Sacramento (c)
Birnam Wood – Sylvia Donahey – Cotati (c)
Caligold – Julie Scopazzi – Woodbridge (c)
Casadeloro – Jeanetta Gulden – Sacramento (c)
DD’s - DeeDee Anderson – Lodi (p)
Delta Gold – Pam Tyson – Wilton (p)
Dustrax – Kathy McIntyre – Auburn (c)
Emberain – Edwina Ryska – Petaluma (p)
Esquire – Dana and Theresa Douglas – Grass Valley (c)
Firemark – Melanie Foster – Woodbridge (p)
Golden Pine – Nancy Kelly – San Mateo (c)
Magicgold – Cheryl Baca – Suisun City (p)
Master’s – Jennifer Masterson – Sebastopol (c)
Osprey – Jan Richards and Wendy Hunter – Penryn (c)
Regency – Laura Franchi – Gilroy (c)
Suntory – Eileen Oshiro – Camino (c)
Tigana – Christine Hsu – Sebastopol (c, p)

Southern California
GRC of Greater Los Angeles
GRC of San Diego County

24KT – Judi Voss – Southern CA (c)
Aureus – Valerie Brennan – Harbor Pines (c)
Bear Valley – Sally Cobb – Oceanside (c)
Calico – Mary Thompson – Fullerton (c)
Charlemagne – Barbara Morgan – Carlsbad (c)
Hi-Tide – Michelle Jorden – Fallbrook (c)
Kate’s – Kathy Clarke – San Clemente (c)
Monogram – Michele Leon – Woodcrest (c)
Premier – Christine Texter – Southern CA (c)
Star Crowned – Karen Webb – Ridgecrest (c)
Stonecrest – Sherry Brothers – San Bernardino (c)
Victory – Michelle Vasquez – Orange County (c)
Woodecoy – Danette Weich – Ridgecrest (c, p)
Woodland – Sharon Shilkoff – Woodland Hills (c, p)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts