Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to thank all people that sent messages in our previous post about our dogs skin and apologize for my late response.

Answering comments
From October we went to another vet and did everything and asked everything that was said in the previous thread.
I will answer all comments and at the end of my post, I have added before and after pictures.

They need to do a skin scrape and look for mange mites, and fungal or bacterial infection
They did a skin scrape and there was quite a lot of malassezia and some other unknown bacterias.
We received the following medicines:
antibiotics(ラリキシン), antifungal medication called Itraconazole(イトラコナゾール), itch relief without side effects of steroids called apoquel(アポキル)

they need to draw blood and run a full blood panel
They took a blood sample and checked for allergies, but he does not have any allergies. (checked for almost all things: mold, pollen, meat, fish etc.)
The only thing it showed us that he had a slight reaction to milk, but the reaction to it was not strong enough to call it an allergy for milk(also we never give him any milk).

IFood allergies would have been much easier to deal with
Exactly, our allergy test also seems to show that he does not have a food allergy. Just in case we started a food elimination diet and giving him fish with rice for two weeks now.

This presents more of a thyroid issue than mange but certainly should have been tested. A skin scrape takes minutes to do so no reason not to.
The bloodwork to check for thyroid function you would have to ask for a price, but whatever it costs it has to be done to either rule out or confirm thyroid deficiency.
We asked the vet about it, but she told us that as he is still 2 years old, that the chance of having a thyroid deficiency is very low (almost impossible)

I have found that bathing him after every extended period of time outside has helped a lot. We're outside a lot, so I dropped that to rinsing him off every time and then baths once a week. I have had good luck with the Duoxo Chlorhexidine shampoo
We also used Chlorhexidine shampoo, but he started shedding a lot of skin powder so we stopped, because we thought it was because of the medicated shampoo. Should we start again with medicated shampoo? We are now washing him with only water as we are worried he might be allergic to shampoo.

Current situation
We did the allergy check and it showed that he has no allergies (at least what they tested for).
Currently we are giving him fish with rice to check if he does not have a food allergy.
Every 3-5 days we need to give him apoquel as he will start to try to scratch his skin when we walk outside.
He wears elizabethan collar, but yesterday night somehow he was able to bite his paw pretty badly (attached the picture at the end of this post).

The only positive thing is that after giving him the medicines for about a month is that his black skin is almost gone.

Does anyone have any advice or idea what might be causing his allergic reaction?
It will help us a lot. Thank you in advance.

Photos
3 months ago (CHEST)

NOW (CHEST)

3 months ago (BELLY)

NOW (BELLY)

NOW (Biting his paw)

·
Premium Member
18,617 Posts
He does look so much better! You are doing a great job taking care of his condition.

They can most definitely be hypothyroid at 2 years old. My dog was under 2 years old when we tested and found him thyroid deficient. You need to insist they run the full thyroid blood panel, T3 and T4, and free T4. If it's in the low end of normal he needs medication, and that might be the final key to getting his skin condition fully under control.

from this article: Thyroid Level Test/Thyroid Profile Tests/Canine Hypothyroidism (vetstreet.com)

Signs of hypothyroidism may be subtle or obvious and can include:
  • Weight gain
  • Dry skin/excessive shedding
  • Hair loss
  • Lethargy (sluggishness)/sleeping more often
  • Skin darkening/thickening
  • Low heart rate
  • Heat-seeking behavior due to feeling cold

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does look so much better! You are doing a great job taking care of his condition.

They can most definitely be hypothyroid at 2 years old. My dog was under 2 years old when we tested and found him thyroid deficient. You need to insist they run the full thyroid blood panel, T3 and T4, and free T4. If it's in the low end of normal he needs medication, and that might be the final key to getting his skin condition fully under control.

from this article: Thyroid Level Test/Thyroid Profile Tests/Canine Hypothyroidism (vetstreet.com)

Signs of hypothyroidism may be subtle or obvious and can include:
  • Weight gain
  • Dry skin/excessive shedding
  • Hair loss
  • Lethargy (sluggishness)/sleeping more often
  • Skin darkening/thickening
  • Low heart rate
  • Heat-seeking behavior due to feeling cold
Thank you for your advice!

We researched about it and it might be what you are suggesting.
When we go to the dog park, he will only walk/run around for like 5-10 minutes and then lie down. (it seems that he gets bored soon, but it might be lethargy)
Also yesterday night he wet his bed, while we walked with him before he went to bed.
Lots going on, but at least his skin looks better.

In your article it suggests to first scan for T4, so we will search for a vet that can do it for us. (after T4 even if it is negative, I guess we should also try T3 and free T4)

I really hope it is hypothyroid so that we can finally give targeted and proper care to his problem so that he also will not have itchy skin anymore.

What kind of symptoms did your dog show that you took the thyroid tests? Did he have itchy skin as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

·
Premium Member
18,617 Posts
Thank you for your advice!

We researched about it and it might be what you are suggesting.
When we go to the dog park, he will only walk/run around for like 5-10 minutes and then lie down. (it seems that he gets bored soon, but it might be lethargy)
Also yesterday night he wet his bed, while we walked with him before he went to bed.
Lots going on, but at least his skin looks better.

In your article it suggests to first scan for T4, so we will search for a vet that can do it for us. (after T4 even if it is negative, I guess we should also try T3 and free T4)

I really hope it is hypothyroid so that we can finally give targeted and proper care to his problem so that he also will not have itchy skin anymore.

What kind of symptoms did your dog show that you took the thyroid tests? Did he have itchy skin as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Just have the full panel run at one time, don't do just part of the test. Get all the results at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.