Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All but one scrape seem to be healing nice. I am not sure if this is infected or just irritated further from walking on the heavily salted sidewalks. When I put my finger on it some clear stuff (looks just like water) comes off. That yellowish stuff is just skin not puss. I put some polysporin on it and wrapped it up so the polysporin can absorb and think I will walk him with boots on both front feet until they are both healed.

What do you think of the pics? I dont really want to take him into the vet unless I have to. All they would do I think is give me cream, tell me to wrap it and possibly try to put him on oral antibiotics and steriods which I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I don't see any sign of infection by looking at those photos.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Clear discharge I believe is normal for a wound. It's when you see thick, opaque green or yellow discharge that infection becomes a concern. I think his scrape looks like it's healing up, but I am by no means a veterinary professional.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah no yellow or green or smellyness lol. I would notice smelly right away I can smell something nasty a mile away.

So maybe it was bothered by the salt on the road poor guy. Ill keep him booted up and keep and eye on it. That was the worst one so I suspect it will take a while to heal.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I feel bad for him. He was out walking and was limping and lifting each paw up because of the salt. Totally my fault. Hes fine on the back roads where they dont salt but on the main ones I think I will avoid. Poor guy. I will give him an extra cookie tonight lol

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think it looks fine, too. Would he tolerate you wrapping his paws/booties when you go for a walk outside? Otherwise it is healing nicely.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah he would let me wrap them. he doesnt have issues with his paws being touched. Hes a very placid dog when it comes to ear cleaning, nail trimming etc. Doesnt put up the slightest fight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts