Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Still typing one handed, right arm can't quite get high enough comfortably.
I start physical therapy on Tuesday...I probably won't get full use of my arm back, but hopefully most. I not only broke my shoulder but tore my rotator cuff in multiple places, also tore my distal and elbow bicep. That explains why the worst of the pain has been in my upper arm. No more sleeveless stuff for me...I was already not liking my granny arms, now I have an ugly Popeye muscle which will never go away LOL!

Mom is having a difficult time dealing with the loss of dad...until I can drive I am trapped here like a caged animal. I see her about 3 times a week and talk to her 4 times a day. I have been letting her take me to doctors appts etc...she needs someone to take care of and it gets her out of the house. She cared for dad for 56 years, the past 4 years or so he had needed total care and she did it lovingly to the point of exhaustion. My brother said it best just before dad passed away "if I could find a woman who loved me half as much as mom loves dad, I would be the happiest man alive". My dad worshipped my mom so it was not one sided...We really miss him.

I you could please send healing thoughts and energy to mom and me, it would be very much appreciated.

Julie

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. Remember there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure things will begin to look up for both you and your mother.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Wow, a lot of pain to deal with and a slow recovery. BUT, you are making progress. I can imagine how devastating that injury is. I broke the upper part of my arm: the round part that fits into the shoulder and it was just full of cracks. A couple of weeks in a sling, PT and it was considered "healed". HOWEVER, there's still a lot of pain in that arm from muscle and tendon damage, I can't reach up the way I could and it really aches on cold, rainy days. And my injury was NOTHING compared to yours. You have my sympathy and tons of hugs...one-sided hugs.;)

I'm glad you are letting your mom take care of you. You're right that she needs someone right now. I'm so sorry that you lost your dad, his wife. It's terribly hard when there is so much love!

Sending prayers for you both.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and your mom. I understand how it was with your parents. My dad took care of my mom with Alzheimer's Disease till it almost killed him. We finally have her in a nursing home and him at assisted living. Both in their mid to late 80's. They both believe in, until death do us part.....Hugs to you and your mom.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Julie

You are going through so much and then to lose your Dad.
Your Mom and you are good for each other, helping one another out.
Thank God you have each other.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Thanks for checking in.

My prayers and thoughts are going to you and your mother. It sounds like the two of you have already been through the worst of things, and each day will hopefully get better. Hugs.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am sorry you and your mother have been through so much emotional and physical pain. Healing wishes coming your way.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Sorry for all that you and your Mom are going through! Sometimes it seems like everything falls apart at once. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for both of you and the strength to get pass the difficult spots.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
...I you could please send healing thoughts and energy to mom and me, it would be very much appreciated.

Julie
I am glad that you and your mom are supporting each other.

Healing energy and prayers flowing your way, with many hugs.
Lucy

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Tons of prayers and good thoughts coming your way. You have had way too much to deal with and I hope everything is so much better from now on.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all...
Today is moms 80th birthday, we went and had lunch with her...brought a cake and flowers - she didn't want to do anything but was glad that we did. Tomorrow would be dads 83rd birthday so today and tomorrow are going to be especially hard for mom.

I started PT last week, it was tough and the therapist left me feeling very discouraged. I was in so much pain and they scheduled me less than 20 hours apart on Th. and Fr...I couldn't move my arm and it became all bruised again. Today went much better and she was much more encouraging, its getting there but probably going to take a while. I am not very patient LOL...

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am glad you had lunch and spent time with your Mom on her birthday. I hope she doesn't get too down about tomorrow.

I've been doing PT 2X a week with a day (at least) off between. How many times a week will you be going? maybe you could go Mon/Wed/Fri next time. Are they doing any massage to help with your pain? It sure helps.

I hope things continue to look up for you and 2012 brings good things!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Thank you all...
Today is moms 80th birthday, we went and had lunch with her...brought a cake and flowers - she didn't want to do anything but was glad that we did. Tomorrow would be dads 83rd birthday so today and tomorrow are going to be especially hard for mom.

I started PT last week, it was tough and the therapist left me feeling very discouraged. I was in so much pain and they scheduled me less than 20 hours apart on Th. and Fr...I couldn't move my arm and it became all bruised again. Today went much better and she was much more encouraging, its getting there but probably going to take a while. I am not very patient LOL...
I'm glad that you and your mom were able to be together. This has to be wicked hard time for both of you.

Friends who have been through PT after major injuries tell me they swear by ice packs immediately after the PT. It helps with immediate pain but also with bruising and pain that comes back afterwards.

I hope this process will be easier than you expect.

Holding your mom and you in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
PT is NOT for sissies!!! It hurts like the dickens. I do hope they can schedule you every other day at least. If it continues to get bruised and painful you might go to just twice a week at first.

Sending prayers and hugs to you and your mom.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
DreamMom

DreamMom

Glad you had lunch with your Mom for her Birthday. PT is tough-praying that it will get better and better for you, one day at a time.
Please know that you have my sympathy for all you are going through.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Hope this new year brings you good things only, you deserve it. Happy Birthday to your mom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts