Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original Thread here: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=50982

GRRNT's hero Calamity Jane continues to make appearances on TV here in the DFW area. Calamity Jane was shot in the leg and left for dead on the side of the road. A Good Samaritan rescued her, took her to a local shelter and shelter workers called GRRNT to save her life. Her leg had to be amputated. Our vet discovered she was also expecting a litter, which she delivered shortly after the discovery! While in foster care she sensed trouble next door and broke from her foster mom and ran barking loudly towards the neighbors house. This scared a getaway driver in the driveway who radioed (via walkie talkie) inside the house to 3 other robbers who had invaded a home, taken 9 people hostage, and were busy ransacking the house while holding the home owners and guests hostage at gunpoint. The neighbors credit Calamity Jane with ending the 45 minute ordeal and possibly saving their lives.
When word got out about Calamity Jane's heroism, the news stations in Dallas/Fort Worth came out to film her, making her a media sensation.
Calamity was adopted by her foster family on the same day one of the 3 robber/hostage takers in the incident was arrested. Here is the link:
http://cbs11tv.com/video/[email protected]
The criminal is downright scary looking. No doubt if word gets out in the jail house he was bested by a 3-legged golden retriever nursing a litter of puppies he will be laughed at and ridiculed.
Calamity's story hit the wires and was picked up by several TV stations in the US, plus the Wall Street Journal.
GRRNT is of course very happy that this most unlikely rescue dog hero has a very wonderful story and a new forever family! Her puppies are going to their adoptive homes soon as well.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
What a beauty CJ is. She certainly deserves every good thing life can possibly provide... so glad her fosters adopted her. I bet she has some "godparents" next door!!!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
What an amazing girl!!! So glad she has a good home now. She deserves all the acolades she recieves!
I agree Betty. Her neighbors should be showering her with gratitude!!! She saved their lives!

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
What a great story! I'm suprised the neighbors didn't adopt her!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did hear that some neighbors up the street are adopting one of the puppies. I can only imagine when Calamity goes for walks she is going to be a rock star in that neighborhood!

What is so amazing is Calamity is a very shy Golden and barking and chasing after the car is uncharacteristic for her. Who knows if it was the smell of the guns or the fact she is a protective mom.

Also, I forgot to mention that the adopter is involved in pet assisted therapy work. She has adopted 3 GRRNT Goldens who are all pet therapy dogs. She has plans to make Calamity Jane one as well, specializing in helping children awaiting or undergoing limb amputations. Furthermore, when the Tarrant County Sheriff's Dept heard about her work they asked her to be involved in comfort therapy for rescue personnel in case there is a huge emergency that is stressful for rescue workers. I think this is very good publicity for how wonderful rescue Goldens can be! The story just keeps getting better.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Rock star..... no kidding. You couldn't ask for a better ambassador for GRRNT or for goldens in general. She would be PERFECT as a therapy dog.... in so many situations, esp for kids. Kids with all types of ailments could really benefit from her... not only her gentle, loving nature, but the fact that she is "different" is very comforting for any kid with an affliction...... whether it's an illness, deformity, learning difference, etc.. To be different as a child is often worse than the illness itself and CJ can allow them to see it in a different light. She is my hero.... I really think she needs to be honored at least by the city if not the state !!! Does TX have a medal of honor????

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
What a great girl she is. She deserves her the best the rest of her life.

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts
Rock star..... no kidding. You couldn't ask for a better ambassador for GRRNT or for goldens in general. She would be PERFECT as a therapy dog.... in so many situations, esp for kids. Kids with all types of ailments could really benefit from her... not only her gentle, loving nature, but the fact that she is "different" is very comforting for any kid with an affliction...... whether it's an illness, deformity, learning difference, etc.. To be different as a child is often worse than the illness itself and CJ can allow them to see it in a different light. She is my hero.... I really think she needs to be honored at least by the city if not the state !!! Does TX have a medal of honor????
It would be great if we could nominate her for an award. I know they exist for dogs that do heroic acts. CJ's story is certainly worth recognizing.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually tried to research awards to nominate her for but haven't had much luck. I know there are dog hero awards but I cannot figure out who sponsors them! Anyone have any ideas? Calamity Jane deserves kudos. Her adopter is camera shy but Calamity is a natural in front of the cameras and lights!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Anybody have any "ins" with a state senator or the governor???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts