Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an update on this thread:
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=63942

I went to fill a new prescription this afternoon. The charge using my Medco drug discount card was going to be $66. I asked the pharmacist to check the price using the new free discount card many American communities are offering for free to their citizens (http://www.coast2coastrx.com/). The pharmacy tech told me she thought my health insurance discount card would be cheaper, then she came back and said she was wrong, I saved $44 using this free discount card over what my discount drug plan would charge! Total charge was only $22.

Just wanted to pass it along for anyone who does not have drug coverage or does and just might want to discount shop. These cards cover humans and pet prescriptions obtained from human pharmacies.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I strongly suspect the major pharmaceuticals are behind this as a way to do their "community" service discounting to satisfy the regulators. Then they can charge an arm, leg and a first born child to those who are not in the plan or those counties that do not participate. I don't know this for sure, but if you look at the website you can't trace back to the real people behind it.
Whatever the motive, you can save money, and I like that!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I strongly suspect the major pharmaceuticals are behind this as a way to do their "community" service discounting to satisfy the regulators. Then they can charge an arm, leg and a first born child to those who are not in the plan or those counties that do not participate. I don't know this for sure, but if you look at the website you can't trace back to the real people behind it.
Whatever the motive, you can save money, and I like that!
Ehh, not so sure. If I were a major pharmaceutical company and I was behind this, I would be SURE to let EVERYONE know what my company was doing and how we were helping.

But, ya never know I guess.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whether it is legit or not, it worked for me and I was at a legitimate pharmacy and they were going to charge me $44 more until I asked them to check the FREE card out. I am out absolutely nothing doing this, I actually SAVED money for a legitimate, non-counterfeit prescription drug, so.....I don't care who is behind it or why, it works!:D

·
Registered
22,569 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Whether it is legit or not, it worked for me and I was at a legitimate pharmacy and they were going to charge me $44 more until I asked them to check the FREE card out. I am out absolutely nothing doing this, I actually SAVED money for a legitimate, non-counterfeit prescription drug, so.....I don't care who is behind it or why, it works!:D
Well since it did work for you I'm sure it's legit in that sense. I'm just interested in how it works out of curiosity.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Probably the same way that many mail order programs charge only $8.00 per 90 day prescription. Some programs charge only $15.00 for the same 90 days if you make a purchase in the drug store and that is if it is a brand name drug. I think it's only $10.00 for generic with some programs.

Stop & Shop has been giving out "free" antibiotics with a doctor's prescription of course, for a long time time. I can't remember which antiobiotic though.

How...I wish I knew.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The list of counties is pretty short.
For once it pays to live in Dallas County, instead of Tarrant County! Seriously though, I suspect other counties will join up with time unless this goes belly up.

I did some research today with my health insurance mail order plan and for refills I'll probably go through it and save $5 per refill. This card is really helpful when you have a prescription that needs to be filled immediately and for some reason the insurance company isn't discounting as much as this free card plan discounts. I needed to start the prescription immediately so it worked out successfully for me yesterday, but may not do so for a long-term prescription. I just tried to get a price for my nasonex nasal spray for allergies and couldn't get one.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All the pharmacy needed was a full name and the card number to register me into the program. It seems to me if you use a participating pharmacy they don't care what county you live in, especially since they didn't ask for an address for registration purposes.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
There are numerous pharmacies in my county, and yet we are not one of the included counties, but I would think that since the pharmacy participates they would take the card.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts