Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dusty and Sammy went to the vet on Wednesday and Dusty passed with flying colors! He is doing really well, has gained weight and is 74 lbs. which the vet said is perfect. Vet thinks he is around 2 years of age which is what they thought at the rescue.

Sammy has some definite issues with his ears, both ears are infected so we are doing twice daily cleaning and medicating and he is on an oral antibiotic. The vet said he apparently has had chronic ear infections which went untreated and also looks like he had several hematomas which went untreated as well so a lot of scar tissue has developed. Once we get the ear infections cleared up he will have surgery on that ear. He has gained about 7 lbs. since he first came into the shelter and is now 52 lbs.! He needs to gain about 15-20 lbs. which certainly won't be difficult in this house! The Papillomas on his leg will probably shrink with improved nutrition but the dr. doesn't think they will disappear completely. Other than the ear and weight issues the vet said he really isn't too bad. He thinks he is anywhere from 5-7 years old, he was really surprised at how good his teeth looked considering all the other apparent neglect he has suffered. We will work hard to get him back to good health so he can have many more happy years with us!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Sounds wonderful!

I'm sure Sammy will bloom with good care and love which he is getting in abundance now!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I hope Sammy's ear infections clear up. How sad that he didn't have them or the hematomas treated in his previous life, but he'll get fine care now for sure!

His face looks younger for sure. I am very sorry you lost Rusty and Sadie (and so very close together) and I hope you have many happy years together with your two new good looking boys.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They sound like they are doing great. Sorry that Sammy has issues with his ears, my Pawley was the same way when I adopted him but he is better now. With your love and care they both will have long and healthy lives with you.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
What a great update! Are Sammy's ear infections caused by yeast? If so, can you have his thyroid checked? If that's not the issue, then you could possibly look into probiotics for him. I know they work for my dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts