Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Our now 11 week old Daisy was diagnosed with vaginitis and coccidia about 4 weeks ago when we brought her home from the breeder. She was on amoxicillin and another antibiotic and we saw no improvemnt in the frequency of her urinating and still soiling the crate at night and during the day. So we went back to the vet yesterday and found that she STILL has the vaginitis/UTI infection. The amoxicillin didn't kill it so she's on another antibiotic. Hopefully this will work. But at least we have the answer to why she's urinating so often and doing it in her crate every night. Anyone experience these kind of problems with young female pups?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually yes- I just replied to a post under the Health area where someone was asking about red bumps on her dog's belly. I told her that my dog at nine weeks (she is now 14 weeks old) old was given 10 days of antibiotics for puppy vaginitis, puppy pyoderma (a skin rash that looks like little pimples on her belly), and UTI. I gave her the 10 days of meds and it worked really well but then I noticed the pyoderma started to reappear so I went back to the vet and she is now on her second set of antibiotics. My vet said these three things are VERY common in young female pups especially goldens for some reason. They usually go hand in hand as well. When I went back for the second set of meds they didn't even look at her, they just gave them to me. When we go in on Monday for vaccinations, the vet said she will do a thorough exam and make sure it is okay down there. She compared it to Belle having a yeast infection with a rash and a UTI and she told me it can make these little pups pretty miserable! :(

Because of the UTI we were also having a hard time with training (well technically we still are but it is getting better!). She was going very frequently just a small dime size amount. The meds seem to be helping since she now pees less frequently and it sometimes looks like a river! :)

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
Yes for us too... however, Geddy only had the vaginitis. Thankfully no UTI.

Here is a response I gave in another thread...

Our Geddy came home with Vaginitis as well. We treated her for a few weeks with drugs... then decided to stop the drugs and home that her own immune system would pick up and fight it. She's now 6 months old, and it's gotten a lot better. After we quit the drugs we just wiped her (with baby wipes) after every urination. However, we do believe that she still has it. I did some reseach on line (it's limited what you can find). And what I found said that vaginitis can not be treated with drugs as it's not a virus, but a natural sloughing off of cells. I also read that some dogs get it because they have an "innie" instead of a normal vulva. It suggested that we let her go thru her first heat before we spay b/c the hormones from a heat will help to "pop" her vulva out to normal. It went on to say that to spay her before her first heat could lead to a lifetime of UTI's and incontenence.

So that's where we are at now... waiting to see...

Here is a link, so you know what I mean...
In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas

Good luck with your girl... I hope she can get rid of it on her own!

Sandra
I wish you and especially Daisy the best!!!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
We had the same problem with Tinkerbell so I always mention it to new puppy owners that are having training problems.

They go hand in hand and usually out grow it. But you do have to get it cleared up first. It is not unusual to take more than 1 round of antibiotics. Each day she was on the anitbiotics it got better and then it was suddenly gone. And she was trained.

·
3 goldens
11,672 Posts
Gee, i never had any problems with any of my female puppies. I sure hope everyone having problems gets it cleared up soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts