Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, there's nothing to report. I called the vet's again today, and this time, I was told it takes three weeks :eek: for the blood test results to come back.

He's doing well, although, he still will NOT go down the back stairs even when he knows he's going in the car (and that used to be the ticket to getting him to come down the stairs :mad:.

He still has an occasional head tilt and is still on the Benadryl. He tripped a little going down the front stairs today, but I'm wondering if part of that isn't just because he's in a hurry to check out an area before I let him in the back yard. He also stumbled out of my car today, but I parked it in the garage, and there wasn't a great deal of room for him to get out.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm making excuses for something more significant, but until I hear from the vet, I'm up in the air about it all. I keep looking online, and I keep seeing all of his symptoms applied to hypothyroidism. I want to start medicating him properly if that's what's needed. Although the Benadryl seems to help, I know it's not what will really help in the end.

The longer this goes, the more worried I become. And, do you realize how little people really understand the worry associated with a dog? It's almost as if they think that since it's not a person, it's inconsequential. They "tsk, tsk" but don't really "get it.":confused:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Some people can never understand how important our dogs are to us. Their loss. You can't get a much more loyal friend than a dog. But they can also cause us lots of worry and sadness.

I hope you get some good news soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope you find out something soon-although, I certainly hope it's nothing serious & is treatable. I understand full well the worry. Our Roscoe was very old & having several health problems, I worried so much because for one thing I didn't want him to be in pain & he became deaf as well. He was so sweet & loving all the time. He had to have some minor surgeries for some things & everytime they put him to sleep I was so afraid I wouldn't see him again, I worried so much I couldn't even concentrate at work all day! They really are like our children in many ways- I know Roscoe was. He has been gone for 8 months & it has been difficult for us. Especially my husband, they were VERY devoted to each other. Connie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how that is. As much as I love Brandy, I've had Coffee since he was about eight weeks old. Then, my husband and I split up, and it was me and Coffee and Cinder (the dal). Then Cinder died, and it was me and Coffee (and the cats, but as I said before they barely tolerated him) for a little over a year. We bonded so tightly during that time!

He is doing well considering. His head tilt is less and less. He plays with Brandy, tousles and rolls and barks and bites and pulls. When he goes outside, if there's someone driving into the next yard (I live next to a commercial building, so there's always someone driving in and out of there), they both go running after the cars (inside a four-foot chain-link fence).

Whatever this is, it may end up being something transient. One thing I've been reading online is goldens can get vestibular symptoms that go away in a few weeks, etiology unknown. Maybe that's what this is.

He won't go down the back stairs, though. But, in thinking about that today, I remember a dog I had MANY years ago, when I was 15 or so. My dad drove a Volkswagon bug, and the dog and he went for a ride. He let the dog out when they got to their destination, and the dog hurt his foot somehow on his exit from the car (it was soooo long ago, I forget exactly what happened). That dog would not go back in that car again for the rest of his life. My dad finally sold the bug and got something else as a second car. I think I'm dealing with the same thing here. He got frightened falling down those stairs (and who could blame him?). And he looks at me and says, "Mumma, it ain't gonna happen again."

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I will be praying for you and coffee. I did have a siamese cat that had hypothyroidism. For over a year I was giving him pills. Ifound out he had it because he lost a lot of weight in a short time. He was not a candidate for the radiation treatment because he had kidney problems and later had a tumor on his heart and had to be put to sleep. But the hypo. was not hard to manage, if you have the $ the radiation is very successful, the only problem is that they do not do that everywhere because after the insert the seed of radiation they have the animal stay in isolatin for a week or two. But the cure rate is great. I will pray for your furry friend...... Keep calm (that's an oxymoron????)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Roscoe had a hard time going down the back stairs too, poor thing got so shaky & had arthritis he just couldn't do it anymore. I was so afraid he would fall & break a leg or hip or something. When he would go in the car I had to help lift up his back legs, but he loved going for rides! He was 16 when he left us last year. It amazed everyone he lived so long, even the vet! As hard of a life he had, he was determined to be with us as long as he could. He was just so incredibly happy & grateful to finally have a real home, but we knew it was time for him to go. He just had too many problems & was so old, as hard as it was, we didn't want him to suffer, bless his heart. He was such an incredible dog, always gentle, always loving & so devoted. He just adored Fred, my husband! He was like his shadow. It was so obvious they deeply loved each other, I don't know if it could ever happen again, I've never seen anything like it before & I'm 51 yrs. old. I wish Coffee good health & happiness & you too. Connie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts