Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted Callie and when I took her into the Vet for an initial exam, I was informed that she had a heart murmur and that it could be due to a congential heart disorder, or heartworm. She turned out to be heartworm negative, so I took her to the cardiologist this morning.

The Cardiologist confirmed that she has a grade 4/6 murmur upon listening, but he was pleasantly surprised to discover that upon further inspection, the echo revealed mild to moderate subaortic stenosis with a pressure gradient of 45mmHg. She also has tricuspid regurgitation and aortic insufficiency, but overall he said it was good news as to what he was expecting to find, considering the severity of the murmur. The EKG was normal, and he does not expect any complications to arise from this. He told me to treat her like a normal dog, no activity limitations, no medications, and she can undergo anesthesia and get spayed (yay!). He even said that her lifespan shouldn't be affected by this! I just have to take her back in 6 months for a repeat echo/ekg, and assuming nothing changed, see the regular vet every 6 months.

I just wanted to share the good news with everyone, and to provide hope to anyone else who discovers their loved one has a condition, that it can turn out ok! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, but to celebrate the good news, we're going to the dog park today! So I'll take some there and put them up later!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
When I saw 4/6 I took a quick breath...
Glad she is able to avoid meds and that she can self-limit her exercise...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts