Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't figure out how to edit my original thread :confused: but I thought I would update on Baxter's illness etc.

I originally posted in October about Baxter becoming suddenly ill (vomiting and diarrhea). http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...py-up-1-year/105082-starting-get-worried.html

Well, after NINE WEEKS of several medications and a diagnosis of Giardia that caused Campylobacteriosis, and an then overabundance of clostridium (and an ear infection thrown in there for good measure), we got the all clear from the vet last week with regard to the Giardia and the excess bacteria in his intestine. We were SO happy.

Then last week we noticed that he had started to chew/lick the fur on his front legs and chew the pads on his front paws. I'd never seen him chew or lick his fur excessively, and then on the weekend his diarrhea returned. We were truly puzzled because we'd been given the all clear for the previous issues. Back to the vet we went, (poop sample in tow!) and the vet has now recommended that we put him on a hypoallergenic food in conjunction with a pro-biotic (the pro-biotic we've been doing for a while now).

We're so hoping that this works out for him. I admit that I am not thrilled with switching him to a food that I've read is not really that great in terms of quality (Purina brand) but I just want the poor guy to feel better!

If the food doesn't work, then the vet has recommended some sort of extensive testing on his stool in order to determine if there is anything else going on. It seems that we've found a really great vet though, who was willing to do extra research and reading for Baxter last night (on her own time!) and she has really been so helpful to us in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You are a good doggie parent - Baxter is a challenge! These unusual infections can be persistent; but eventually, you (and Baxter) will win out.

Baxter is so lucky to have you - hang in there!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
You are a good doggie parent - Baxter is a challenge! These unusual infections can be persistent; but eventually, you (and Baxter) will win out.

Baxter is so lucky to have you - hang in there!
What she said !! Take care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts