Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there everyone! :D

it's been a bit over a month now since we switched over to California Natural Chicken & Rice and the problems i mentioned in my last thread (link here) have practically disappeared with the food switch! yay!! his coat is significantly shinier and the flakiness has diminished a lot!! there's still some flakes here and there but it's nothing as significant as it was before (i assume some is normal?). he also poops a lot less! he went from two HUGE ones a day to one small one! and the best part is... his ear infections are no more! i didn't particularly treat the last ear infection he had and it just disappeared! YAY! :D

i do love what Cal. Natural has done for him, but i've noticed that his stools aren't completely solid; they are, excuse the imagery, a bit sticky in texture and not fully solid towards the end. does this mean i should change the food?? will probiotics help with this?

besides that though, we have seem to run into another problem :(

our dear Bailey has been diarrhea-ing NON-STOP the last 2.5 days! it's less frequent now, but on saturday he was having to go every other hour! :( it was so horrible and by the 5th time it seemed like it was starting to be painful for him too. i'm hoping it's not a reaction to the flea medication... it can't just suddenly happen right? this was the second time i've given him frontline plus, i don't recall having this issue when i first applied it last month. the second dosage was applied this past thursday. then on friday, he had a marrow bone, which he also has had before - do they go bad if they're re-frozen though? it was the other half from a whole that i gave him a week or two ago that i took up and re-froze.

starting saturday the diarrhea has been non-stop. his first stool on saturday was a bit bloody, but i think it might've been due to the small bone pieces (which i could see in his stool) from the marrow bone... and everything after that was the splattering sort of diarrhea(sorry for the image). he only went once today (thank God!) but it was still liquid and when my husband took him out tonight on his last walk, he tried eating some of the hardened/old diarrhea from saturday!! :O :O :O we were so shocked bc he's never tried to eat poop before!! and we're starting to get worried. his energy level has definitely gone down indoors (when he's outdoors playing fetch or on his walks he seems completely fine though!), and he's eating/drinking fine.... but diarrhea is just never a good sign, right?

*sigh* it's so heartbreaking to see him like this, i wish he could just catch a break y'know? :(

thanks everyone! and sorry this is so long!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
You need to take him to the vet right away, diarrhea that long dehydrates them and that can be deadly, besides needing to check what is causing the diarrhea.

Vet, now. He probably needs subcutaneous fluids.

·
Registered
420 Posts
definitely to the vet, I am also giving my pup c.n. puppy food, maybe the stools are a bit like your saying but not all the time, Lucy is 9 mos. and will be changing to adult food soon, not sure what brand yet, c.n. was bought out by procter and gamble, Lucy was has pudding poops sometimes I figured it might be little twigs she gets into so I throw in some white rice but maybe it is the dog good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
he went out today and he had a solid poop.

shall i still take him to the vet?

I would check for dehydration by checking his gums. push on the gum above a canine tooth and watch to see how quickly the color comes back. It sould come back quickly. You also want the gums to feel moist (not sticky) and be the same color they usually are. Also, another way to check for dehydration is to lift the skin on his back between his shoulder blades. When you let go, you want it to very quickly go back in place. Personally, if he doesn't seem dehydrated, is acting normal, eating and drinking normally, and having solid poop, I wouldn't take my dog to the vet. I would moniter him closely and take him in if any symptoms return. However, I am by no means an expert on this, so my opinion isn't worth much! Go with your gut about whether he needs to be seen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts