Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millie went to her regular vet today. He looked at her xray and agreed with the ER vet...it is cancer, terminal. The ER vet had not sent the complete report over yet but the xrays told the whole story.
He listened to her heart and lungs and said surprisingly they sounded good. Her breathing is a bit labored but she does have an underlying infection that is complicating things more. Her hydration could be better but is not that bad.
Actually when we took her in the truck she got excited and started to bark, when we pulled into the parking lot at the vets she really started to bark.
We are taking it three days at a time checking in to let him know how she is doing. First step is clavamax for the infection. Next step is Pred. He says the fluid is not that bad yet and when the times comes we can give her injections to help her out. John knows how to do that so we are able to do it at home.
She has kept her food down since Friday night. She drinks alot of water and goes out often. No blood in the urine or stool. She has lost three pounds and we are working on not losing anymore, feeding her small meals through out the day and snacks when ever she wants them. Pearl is reaping the rewards on the snacking. Dr Scott says she is not ready to go yet and is not in pain. We are going on quality not quantity. I will keep updating her progress, THANKYOU everyone for your well wishes. Becky

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Thanks for the update. I was really hoping for better news. Savor the time you and Millie have left. You and Millie will continue to be in our thoughts.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so sorry the news wasn't better with your regular Vet. As you are already doing, take each day as a gift with your beautiful girl. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers, that you will have many more days to share together.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Spoil her rotten, do her favorite things, shower her with love (as you already do), take lots of pictures, and tell her you will always love her. Wishing you Millie many more quality days together.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I am so, so sorry about this news. Erin and I have a new outlook on life right now: We've stopped counting the days we have left, now were are making the days we have left count. We will be praying for you in the days ahead. Take care

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Millie's dx. I hope you have many quality days together.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post here. I am sorry you didn't get better news. It is good that Millie is not in pain. I am sending peaceful, healing thoughts for Millie and for you . . .

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm so sorry about her diagnosis. I hope you and Millie enjoy what time you have together and I'm so happy she isn't in pain.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I am so sorry to hear the news, I wish you many happy moments together. Spoil her rotten and take lots of pictures to cherish.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Oh, how I hate this! So, is she eating what you're giving her or do you need some ideas? Let me tell you Becky, I have tried everything! If you need some suggestions, just let me know. I know I feel better if Duke is eating and keeping food down.

I'm so glad she's not suffering or in pain. Bless her heart! Bless YOUR heart. There's a substitute to pred called dexamethasone that sometimes works better. Be sure to ask your vet about that.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You cherish every minute of every day with Millie because they will help you so much down the road. Millie sounds like a big fighter and is telling you she is not ready. May you have many many days left loving and creating many memories. My heart goes out to you.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes Millie is eating but we really have to coax her, she is keeping down what she eats. I have been trying to give her the clavamax in a snack like cheese or crush it up in some yogurt, no dice I am going to have to give them to her by the old fashioned way poking it down with the finger. I hate to do it but she has to take this medication so she can start the pred and hopefully her appetite will perk up. I am going to weigh her today to see how her weight is holding. I have to call the vet tomorrow to let him know how she is doing. Still having no trouble going out for business calls and keeping her food down. She sleeps most of the time but greets me at the door when I get home from work as always with her favorite toy, her duck. We sleep very light so we can hear if she needs to go out during the night. Both dogs have their own bed and sleep in our room. Will keep everyone posted. Duke's Momma, I don't know if you have an Arby's by you but a friend of mine that had a sick cat that was terminal told me that her vet told her get her cat Arby's roast beef sandwich. He said he has never seen an animal how ever sick turn down Arby's roast beef. She said it is the only food her cat would eat.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I'm so very sorry to hear about Millie's diagnosis :( Enjoy every day that you have left with her and take it one day at a time. Sending lots of hugs and well-wishes your way!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I'll keep you and Millie in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
So very sorry about her diagnosis, I will keep you and Millie in my prayers.
Treasure every day with her, she sure is a beauty.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts