Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if my dog is getting enough activity. Maybe about the start of winter she started to become obsessed with chewing sticks outside in the backyard and she recently would bark a lot to go outside so often just to eat sticks. When we refuse to open the door, she will hop onto the couch and start humping it or start scratching it. I'm not sure if that's because she's upset or she has too much energy? I asked my breeder about it and told him we train her twice a day with her kibble meals plus an hour or a bit more of walking. About once a week she will go to the dog park. He said that he thinks she is getting enough activity. She isn't into chewing any of her toys and I'm on the hunt for finding something she will like chewing that will last a long time and not something that disappears after 5 minutes (posted a thread asking for suggestions)

My dog also has dug holes a lot before but I'm not sure if it's because of pent up energy or a habit or she just finds it fun?

How can I decipher if she is getting enough or not?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
it does sound like she could benefit from a little more activity. Has your routine changed since Winter and her exercise decreased?

·
Kristy
9,950 Posts
How old is your dog? I strongly suspect that he needs more than he's getting. Goldens are so intelligent and they need physical and mental exercise. Leash walking in new and different places is good mentally and so are teaching new games, tricks and just engaging with you. Try searching kikopup on youtube for tricks and skills to teach. Search a video on basic retrieving - bill hillman is a good one - buy a special retrieving dummy/bumper that is only for retrieving and it will become a special game. Put her in a down/stay and go hide a favorite toy in the house (or a family member) and then help her search for it. This is one of the best ways to engage a Golden on a rainy day. The "Life with Rune" Facebook group is public and she has wonderful videos of things to do with a young dog to get them solid for therapy dog work. Makes them a dog who can go anywhere and lots of fun ideas. If you're not signed up for an obedience class or might like to try basic agility - find a good dog training club or obedience club and get involved, it's the best way to build a strong relationship with your dog and it's fun :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts