Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I forgot to bring the other bat picture with me to work so here is one for you people who like my weird posts.:rolleyes:

This guy was in the back yard. I know he isn't poisonous, but I don't know what he is. Due to his pretty big size of 3.5' - 4' I think - (shoot on second look maybe he was only 3'), he was relocated. I didn't want him biting anything or anybody.

I put him in a large trash can. Yep - swatting with a stick and hollering when he crawled UNDER the can initially.:eek: DH was hollering encouragement too, at least I think that is what he was hollering.;)

Once Mr. snakey was in the trash can he started hissing and swelling up in a threat mode. Curiouser and curiouser.:confused: I discovered (somehow:uhoh:) that if you banged on the side of the can he would really puff up and make a sound like growling.

I don't know what he is. I know a hognose snake will swell up to look scary, but this sure isn't a hognose snake. He would also "rattle" his tail at me, but I did just notice he had no rattles. The booger almost made me have to smack him:moreek:, but I nicely took him down to the creek instead.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This shows where the head is. It was kind of hard to see. He is obviously nonpoisonouse, but still pretty ICKY!

Uh - no, I dodn't check under it's skirt so "he" is just a guess.;)

and if someone tells me this thing is federally protected and they need my land to preserve it, well I deny every seeing one.;)

Attachments

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh, ICK Teresa. Why did I open this thread???? I HATE SNAKES!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cool snake...you really pissed him off! Kudos to you for letting him loose; he is good rodent control. Sorry, don't know what type he is...

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think he is pretty cute. Thanks for letting him go.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Very cool! How in the heck did you know he's not venomous? Just curious...we mostly only have garter snakes up this end of the world and even then they're pretty rare!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ohhh my!! you are a much better person than I am, I would have had my hubby get the shovel and bye bye snake!!! since Lady was bitten by the water mocassin 2 months ago I don't take any chances!!!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well his coloring is "sortof" similar to a copperhead which is poisonous, but venomous snakes have triangular heads and elliptical pupils. We have a fair amount of copperheads in my area. They are a small snake (usually less than 2') and most people are bitten in the hand because they well.... touch the snake! when there is a copperhead in the yard, I touch it with a shovel and then grind the blade down.:satan:

A rattlesnake would be a differrent color and patttern although just slightly similar, but honestly you can hear them rattling from a ways off.

If it is a snake of any size (at least 2') you can tell very quickly if it is poisonous. the head just looks way different. Bigger (triangle) from the neck to the snout and really wide jaws. The smaller ones are harder to determine.

This guy had an attitude (maybe the banging gave him a headache), but it was all show. That said, I still won't acutally touch one! Brrr!!!! Ick!!!!!!
You can see though that his pupils are round (therefor "friendly" looking) and his jaw is the same size as hte rest of his head basically.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Maybe a corn snake or a pine snake? Looks more like a immature corn snake, behavior sounds like a pine snake.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I am officially forming the Golden Retriever Forum Snake/Bat Phobic Society!

YIKES!! Teresa, I'm scared to set foot in South Carolina now!!!! Between the bats and snakes...:help!::help!:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe a corn snake or a pine snake? Looks more like a immature corn snake, behavior sounds like a pine snake.
Pine snake was my guess, but there were some things that didn't match up. It didn't really act like a corn snake. There was a fair amount of aggression (okay I chased it into a garbage can and banged on the can) and just a different demeanor than the corn snakes I've seen.

anyway, hopefully he decided to stay down by the creek and away from the house. We've had a really mild fall/winter:D, but it must get cold soon and the snakes will go hibernate.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am officially forming the Golden Retriever Forum Snake/Bat Phobic Society!

YIKES!! Teresa, I'm scared to set foot in South Carolina now!!!! Between the bats and snakes...:help!::help!:
The creepy crawlies pretty much stay out of the civilized areas.

Little Brown Bats however do "prefer human habitations for nesting" or whatever batman told me.;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My brother has always collected snakes. I was never particularly friendly with them, but I also never developed a fear. They are just another critter. I do get somewhat nervous around rattlesnakes, but after hiking in southern California, I even got used to them.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Very pretty snake!! I am also a little creeped out by snakes, but find them absolutely beautiful, and amazing at the same time! I wonder if this little guy has a burrow near your house?

We are lucky up here where we live, we have the largest reptile and amphibion zoo right here in our town. They do great educational programs at school and stuff, and do a great job at the zoo also. Here is a link to their website

Reptile & Amphibian Discovery Zoo

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Right now the snakes here in Colorado are in their Wintersleep. But in the Summer we see alot of the Garden snakes. I have met up with a Bullsnake one time and she was a sight. She made me turn around and walk a diffrent trail. The dogs were behind me sniffing something else and never saw the Big Ass Snake. My ZsaZsa was like a Terrier with a snake and would have gone right for it head first. Most of the time the dogs don't even know the snake is on the trail and walk right over it with out noticing it. Rattlers are the once I'm concerned about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts