Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and I am wondering if anyone has seen these symptoms before...

Our Molly began having neurological problems right around her first year. It was as if she was losing her balance - she would "list" to one side, walk in a circle and then fall down, have tremors, and generally not seem "all there". The symptoms came on rather suddenly. She had blood work, in which they tested her for EVERYTHING - including things that were not known in our part of the country. They x-rayed just about every part of her body. They did more blood work, but this time we were on vet #2, because the first vet couldn't figure out what was going on and she was going down hill pretty fast. They tried a number of different medications - none of which helped. We moved on to vet #3 - at the request of vet #2. Molly then had a spinal tap done. Her spinal fluid was examined by U of Wisconsin, somewhere in Illinois (i forget where) and Cornell University. Still nothing. The vet took a shot in the dark and sent us home with Prednisone. It worked! Withing 24 hours Molly was back to her old self and we were elated. Fast-forward to just after her 6th birthday. She starts having sneezing fits, which escalated into nose bleeds. The vet runs a ton of test again - everything comes back fine, but he puts her on an antibiotic and an anti-fungal just to be sure. Two courses of both, over 6 weeks and then the neurological problems start showing up again, back on the Prednisone and within a week, everything is fine, nose bleeds gone and we are happy once again. Three weeks later the nose bleeds are back, we are back on the medication and within 4 days she develops a nose bleed that won't stop. X-rays revealed massive damage to the left side of her nasal cavity, sinus, all the small bones are gone and they can't stop the bleeding because they think whatever this is has affected an artery. And then she was gone...
Sorry this is such a long post.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The first sign for nasal cancer in dogs and cats is usually a nosebleed. Unfortunately, I have never heard of a dog or cat who survived nasal cancer.

Did the vets look at vestibular syndrome for the issues at age one?

I am sorry for your loss. They just don't live long enough.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
How old was she?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
It DOES sound like nasal tumor...

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I don't remember everything they tested her for. The only thing the came up with was that based on her symptoms she has what was commonly referred to as "Small white dog shaker syndrome". Except that she wasn't small and she wasn't white. And she thought she was a "people", not a dog!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
In November last year Buddy started limping and had high temperature, vet put him on prednisone. In December Buddy's nose was bleeding, we did rhinoscopy results were back ok, no cancerous cells, no foreign objects, not fungal, and bleeding stopped within 12 hours, it just stopped. Three months later bleeding started again, his white cell count was very high, red very low, he was on prednisone, tried 3 different antibiotics, Benadryl. His front left leg was swollen and got back to normal, right after that his back left leg was swollen, then he developed very bad sores on the body and on the lips, they did biopsy and sent to University of Saskatchewan, did not get results back, he was gone. He was losing weight, vet thought it was cancer somewhere but could not say where after all tests and x-rays, or autoimmune disease. All this happened within 6 weeks, all three vets in clinic were puzzled but no answer what was it. Buddy was a week shy of being 9 and half old.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm so sorry about your Molly!

Buddy's Mom--I know how you're feeling!

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To Buddy's mom forever - thank you. It is comforting to know that we are not the only ones who have to accept that sometimes there just aren't answers. It doesn't help though because the house is never the same without them.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
It's not just house, my life is never going to be the same without my boy. It has been 4 months on September 15th, I still wake up at night to check up on Buddy and still cry every day. Since last winter I lost 25lb, and as winter is coming I feel more pain. Buddy was snow dog, my boy loved snow so much.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It does sound like a nasal carcinoma.

Our first Golden had unexplained nosebleeds when he was 12. They suddenly stopped and then when he was 13 1/2 he was diagnosed with suspected hemangiosarcoma. I will always wonder if those nosebleeds were a precursor to a cancer brewing in him.

Our Barkley was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and started having nosebleeds after completing chemotherapy. At that point we couldn't do a biopsy to diagnose since he already had a terminal disease and they also thought he had an anal adenocarcinoma discovered a week after his splenectomy. His vet told us the bleeding could be independent related to allergies or fungus, a nasal carcinoma or a spread of his hemangiosarcoma (not a common area of spread though). We released him when his hct levels dropped from the bleeding and he was diagnosed with a total cruciate tear.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Molly

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss of Molly.
I am glad you found us and hope we can help you.
I know in my heart that my Smooch and Snobear will show Molly around the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest I don't remember everything they tested her for. The only thing the came up with was that based on her symptoms she has what was commonly referred to as "Small white dog shaker syndrome". Except that she wasn't small and she wasn't white. And she thought she was a "people", not a dog!
My Millie has the same thing at 8 months ( the neurological not the nasal issues) She’s two now and most people can’t tell what she’s been through. Completely inexplicable. Cerebellitis was her technical diagnosis, also called little white shaker syndrome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts