Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a call today - about 20 minutes after her got to day care - to get her back, because she did not behave well.
She attacked one dog after she went to the facility right away...no sniffing...no nothing...right after she got to the group she attacked him...(no harm done, though). She got an out time and went to a different group, where she right away attacked a different male dog..no sniffing, no obvious 'odd' behavior from the other dog....Lilly got right into it. (One dog was small, the other big...they were both male but that was it in terms of similarities).

Anyway...I changed all the afternoon plans and I got her back....the sweetest girl, like nothing happened, happy as can be....

But I wonder - is this the end of day care. She does really well with her day hiking (in a known group of 6-8 different dogs)....She knew the day care facility since she was 6 months and well, she had one more issues (a thread more than a year ago) but that was it. She is barely at the day care facility (about once every 2 weeks) - and we had no complaints the whole last year.
What shall I do? She did not get expelled today, and they just said she had a 'bad day' ....but I wonder...

It was obviously HER aggression...
...all this from a first time dog owner

Heike
Any suggestions/ tips....it is really time for a behaviorist?

Man, and I just thought this weekend that she is calming down, well behaved. Comes back when called in the dog park...not as hyper...she does tell other dogs on leash or off leash while on a walk or at the dog park that she does not want to interfere with them but in a appropriate dog manner ...I think....really not like what happened today....

attached are just some pictures from her weekly day hike adventures to 'proof' that she does do well with other dogs ....

Attachments

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Boy, I don't have an answer for you. I am sure there are people here who are trainers that can help. The day care people didn't say that she could not come back???? Did they have any thoughts on what happened? Do you know if the dogs that she went after were new??? I will be interested to see what advice you get. I know how well she does with her hiking group so it is hard to know what happened at day care.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Since she doesn't attack all dogs, it must be something about the particular dogs she didn't like. Maybe she doesn't go often enough to adjust?

My Gunner doesn't like strange dogs.. it takes him awhile to warm up to them.

So sorry this happened.. I hope things can work out for her. Sounds like you do other activities with her and she must do fine when you are around.

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dogs in the facility were new dogs (for her) since she really doesn't go that often anymore (maybe once every 2 weeks).
The day people say that she can come back - they were saying - she just had a 'bad day'....but it is alarming, I think.

She is fine with us and at the day hiking adventures. She loves to be in the pack during the day hiking (although there are different dogs over the weeks too...). She is fine with me, even though she does not like all dogs while walking and will growl to them. This is then the time where we enclose that encounter (with that dog). She had little fights at the dog park before, especially when another dog took HER ball.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Personally I would not take her back...there is something that is stressing her enough that she is faced with 'fight or flight' and she is choosing fight.
Outdoors with plenty of space and the right combination of dogs she may not feel the same stressors...

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Lilly

I agree with the poster that said they would not take her back-obviously something there stressed her.

Reactions: turtle66

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I agree with LibertyMe. What happened to Lilly is exactly why I din't like day cares. I have seen many dogs become dog aggressive/defensive from those situations.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I tried to find this in your other posts, but couldn't. Is she spayed?

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all those responses....

I will be thinking about it to not take her back. It won't be easy since she usually just goes there when I have to work AND there are cleaning people at our house, so our day care adventure with drop off won't work on those days..

And yes, she is spayed.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't think I would trust someone else unless I was really, really secure with their abilities to determine if my dog is playing nice with another or not. My dog exerciser chooses Nellie's companions wisely and makes sure the group works together before taking them out. Then she tries to make it the same members...

Nellie gets fustrated if she is playing with a dog who doesn't want to submit (she is dominate), she will pull on their ear hard and shake it and I've had to stop her from doing so. Otherwise I can see where a fight could break out easily.

I would not trust putting my dog in with a group of strange dogs every other week...no way. My dogs are home when my cleaners come too... they with put them in another room with the gate up (on rainy days) or they are outside. IF the cleaner can't deal with it then I will get another company to come clean.

Be careful...you don't want your dog to learn new 'bad' habits....

·
78 Posts
I work a dog boarding facility myself and honestly the sweetest dogs will change their personalities while they stay with us at times. The high volume of dogs barking, something always going on, change of environment, new dogs, new people is a lot to take in for some dogs. Even if your dog has been there numerous times, sometimes to them it seems like a whole new experience each time. Even my own dogs change the way the act when they are there with me. See how she reacts around other dogs besides the dogs in your hiking group, just be cautious!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Maggie has had issues with random dogs...she is sweet as anything and really good with other dogs, but, she just has a thing against bulldogs. She tries to fight with them whenever they get near her...were the two dogs similar breeds?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Any dog Nellie meets as a play date gets introduced off our property and walked with her first. I would never consider dropping any of my dogs off with an unknown group. K

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
were the two dogs similar breeds?
No - one was small, one was big....both were male dogs and she did not know both of them...

Thanks for all the great responses! It really helps to make a good decision about how to proceed! All comments are very helpful to me!

Heike

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Could she be not feeling well?

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
- Eating, drinkink, pooping is all well. She behaves just normal and she just had her yearly check up (without thyroid level) and she passed with an A ;)

- She will be 3 years in April...alsmost too old for this adolescent behavior.:confused:

Since I am going to a meeting with my husband, she will get boarded next week and we will see how that goes. It is a different facility and they have a different approach. They were not surprised that a dog acted like this if you throw them in a group. (I gave them a call the other day and 'warned' them) The approach with other dogs in this facility is more one by one/ careful / slowly....always. The owner of that facility was also Lilly's/ our trainer for a long period of time (we did all classes there). Unfortunately, his business is not an option for daily (or weekly) care while I am working, since they open at 8:00 (I have to be at work at 6:30) and it is a 45 minutes drive :(.

Thank you!

Heike

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Well I am glad you have an alternative for boarding. I think their approach sounds much better. Maybe they will have a day care recommendation.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My guess is the other dogs started it but your girl finished it. I was thinking of doggie daycare for Cozy when she was a puppy for socialization. All the barking and action was too much for both of use. Too high energy. I did try it a few times but did not like it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts