Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rocky boy sure does have his issues! His right foot does not land flat causing the inside pad to absorb most of the load. We do alot of walking - 2-4 miles per day mostly on paved road. The inside pad is worn to the point where you can just see the beginnings of a sore whereas the outside pad gets no wear at all. I bought some Dr. Scholl corn pads, you know the ones with the hole in the middle. I put it on and he isn't bothering it at all. I'm not sure it will stay on for the whole walk - I may have to use some tape.

Any other suggestions on how to protect his inside pad from excessive wear?

PS. Rocky has been back on Acana Pacifica for over 2 weeks now and he is doing great. No dermatitis and no scratching.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'd be concerned that the pad wear is a symptom of a structural problem. Is it the front or the back right pad? If it's the front, I'd be concerned about elbow and shoulder formation. If it's the back, I'd be concerned about the hips.

If you're on paved roads a whole lot and there really is a structural problem, you may be making it worse.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'd be concerned that the pad wear is a symptom of a structural problem. Is it the front or the back right pad? If it's the front, I'd be concerned about elbow and shoulder formation. If it's the back, I'd be concerned about the hips.

If you're on paved roads a whole lot and there really is a structural problem, you may be making it worse.
I agree with this advice. I'd suggest a consult with your vet. Normally for rough pads I'd recommend Musher's Wax, but this does sound like some sort of physical issue.

·
16,000 Posts
My Rocky boy sure does have his issues! His right foot does not land flat causing the inside pad to absorb most of the load. We do alot of walking - 2-4 miles per day mostly on paved road. The inside pad is worn to the point where you can just see the beginnings of a sore whereas the outside pad gets no wear at all. I bought some Dr. Scholl corn pads, you know the ones with the hole in the middle. I put it on and he isn't bothering it at all. I'm not sure it will stay on for the whole walk - I may have to use some tape.

Any other suggestions on how to protect his inside pad from excessive wear?

PS. Rocky has been back on Acana Pacifica for over 2 weeks now and he is doing great. No dermatitis and no scratching.
Is this a front or rear pad? You need to have someone analyze his gait. He could very possibly have structural issues, or other orthopaedic problems, at the root.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a front or rear pad? You need to have someone analyze his gait. He could very possibly have structural issues, or other orthopaedic problems, at the root.
It is his right hind leg. Yes, I think Rocky does have structural issues. The person who surrendered him said he came up lame after playing hard in the snow with her kids. They were sledding. At the time he was about 19 months. The vet took x-rays and said he has "mild" hip dysplasia. I got him about 4 months later. My vet said he has excellent muscle mass around his hips. He did not manipulate them hard enough to get a reaction because he didn't want Rocky's first visit with him to be negative (which I appreciate). I have never seen Rocky limp even after hard play, but his gait is definitely abnormal.

I think I will get him back to my vet and maybe let an ortho evaluate him.

·
16,000 Posts
It is his right hind leg. Yes, I think Rocky does have structural issues. The person who surrendered him said he came up lame after playing hard in the snow with her kids. They were sledding. At the time he was about 19 months. The vet took x-rays and said he has "mild" hip dysplasia. I got him about 4 months later. My vet said he has excellent muscle mass around his hips. He did not manipulate them hard enough to get a reaction because he didn't want Rocky's first visit with him to be negative (which I appreciate). I have never seen Rocky limp even after hard play, but his gait is definitely abnormal.

I think I will get him back to my vet and maybe let an ortho evaluate him.
It sounds like Rocky is compensating to avoid pain. Being mildly dysplastic it makes sense...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look what I found:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?cat_id=13054&dir_id=1633&group_id=13036&pf_id=0X6X&scrdr=1&subcat_id=13055&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=TheFind%2C%20Inc.&cm_pla=&cm_ite=875&adv=875

I'm going to ask my vet about these. The reviews are pretty bad. Looks like the adhesive isn't strong enough.

Rocky wasn't himself Fri- Sun. He didn't hop in bed and was lethargic. I started 325mg aspirin 2x per day and today he is 100% back running his zoomies with gusto. During the 3 day "spell" he was doing a strange stretch everytime he got up. He arched his back really high like a cat. I have seen him do that before once in awhile, but not to that extreme and not every single time he got up. Something is going on.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'd be concerned that the dysplasia is flaring up. Those long pavement walks may not be a great idea. Definitely confer with the vet about what kinds of exercise are appropriate, and ask him or her if the pavement walks are possibly making things worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts