Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a breeder that is pretty unethical. They breed sick dogs and are away that the puppies they are giving away are predisposed to having major GI issues. Their website only lists a few dogs, but I know they have upwards of 15 breeding dogs. I'm pretty sure they lie about a lot of their clearances. They charge a fortune for their pups and are basically con artists, scamming individuals who think they're getting a great little puppy. They also give away breeding rights really easily, so now many of the dogs in Washington state have these "tainted" lines... and they stud out their sire that has tainted lines, so even people who aren't breeding their puppies are still breeding bad lines.

Breeders are supposed to preserve and better the breed, and they clearly are not. There is only so much research someone can do on their own while searching for a pup, and this breeder puts on a good show... at some point, you have to assume the people you're talking with are telling you the truth.

But what can I do?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Do they say they are a member of the GRCA or their local golden retriever club? There is a code of ethics that is recommended to follow by belonging to those groups. Otherwise, not sure what else you can do. The AKC is just a registry, so they will not get involved.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
You can name them here so when people search them on Google this thread comes up. If they are a member of the GRCA or using their logo you can report them to the GRCA. If you have proof of anything more sinister like lying on registration, about parentage, etc you could take that to the AKC. It all depends on the circumstances and what you can prove.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Have you checked to see if there are previous complaints? If this is ongoing it could be a matter for the better business bureau or even the fraud department of the local law or both.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Clearances-it is important that they are sent to OFA because of this sort of situation. They can't be falsified AND on OFA. They can be falsified and kept in the file cabinet.
I wish you would name them. It would be easily verified if they do not have clearances, and while you are right in that there is only so much research a person puppy hunting can do, if they are using google, it would come up here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The breeder is Legacy Champion Goldens (previously known as Lake Chelan Goldens) in Washington State. Looks like they started in 2015, so there is not a build up of a lot of complaints, publicly at least. Seems like there are a lot of internal issues with the golden/dark golden puppies. They got a lot of new light cream colored dogs and they are from different lines (not AKC registered though? but still way overpriced), so they might be fine health wise, but there is still an issue with her having WAY too many breeding dogs and many not being 2 years old. I also worry about the conditions that they're keeping that many dogs in, there is no way they're all getting the attention they deserve. When I was looking I reached out to them and there were a lot of holes in what they were saying that prevented me from moving forward and resulted in me digging into their business some more. I'm glad I found my girl elsewhere and that she didn't come from these same lines. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and what I'm seeing from the outside looking in.

Has anyone else looked into them and have any thoughts? If you search for them, is there anything you see off the bat that would raise red flags, in your mind?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well I checked just one of their males the one that say is an Int Champion For health information His hips passed but his Siblings show many problems one had mild dysplasia one borderline with the same type results behind him his bloodlines show its a huge gamble for health reasons. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1833477 They do not do eyes or have never sent them into to OFA which is part of the expected health testing The female they bred to they talk about her hips but could not find her on OFA. They use the terms English cream which is term that is a typical read flag. And way overpriced I see puppies from top breeder here in WA for the same price out of generations of full clearances and health testing and multiple titles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a way to validate the "Paw Print Clear/Carrier" results? Is that stored in a database like OFA? They claim that for a lot of dogs but I don't know how it can be verified.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Like heart and eyes, it can be if they send in the paperwork. If they choose not to send it in you'd just have to trust them or get a copy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for this! I just started researching breeders and it looks like I can cross Legacy Champion Goldens off my list. I thought something was up when I noticed that they hid their reviews posted on their Facebook page but look to be posting frequently.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Is there a way to validate the "Paw Print Clear/Carrier" results? Is that stored in a database like OFA? They claim that for a lot of dogs but I don't know how it can be verified.
PawPrint has a pedigree page that clearances via DNA can be listed on- but I frankly find it so hard to maneuver around I have only tried to use it one time to no success... for me, I send the boys in to OFA and use the girls to make breeding decisions on. I do wish the PP database were more user friendly.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
It intrigues me that they own dogs who are bred in the US and do not even have AKC registration on them- Lizzy in particular- I am curious how they register her offspring. Her eyes were last done in Bulgaria. They should be done yearly.
There is a litter sired by Ranger- she claims excellent hips- but this dog has no hips or elbow on OFA- https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=796634 (and following her doing FCI on her eastern bloc dogs, he should have OFAs since he is American?)
But go look at his change history on k9data.. interesting... he's been locked.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It intrigues me that they own dogs who are bred in the US and do not even have AKC registration on them- Lizzy in particular- I am curious how they register her offspring. Her eyes were last done in Bulgaria. They should be done yearly.
There is a litter sired by Ranger- she claims excellent hips- but this dog has no hips or elbow on OFA- https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=796634 (and following her doing FCI on her eastern bloc dogs, he should have OFAs since he is American?)
But go look at his change history on k9data.. interesting... he's been locked.
Interesting. Does K9 data verify all clearances?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
There are admins who are in the know...through social media, etc- it doesn't take much for someone to notice an ad on FB or an inquiry here that leads to some people's lack of ethics being noticed... and then a quick look at their site....
many people see k9data as a pet project, and we notice when someone is putting not-cool stuff (truth wise) and tell an admin.
Lesley (BLAZENGR on this forum) is an admin-

1 - 20 of 102 Posts